German wings 4U 9525

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Just seen a tweet from the Aviation safety network , the NY Times are reporting that the Voice recorder has sounds indicating that a pilot was locked out of the cockpit and can be heard trying to get back in.
A very weird turn. Apparently NYT broke the news. Something suggested that the plane was not out of control but that it was, in some way, being flown.

BigAl68

Über Member
Looks from the latest news that the Co pilot deliberately put the plane into the dive and killed everyone... That is horrific to think they could do that to everyone on board.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I think in this instance they had gone out of radio contact as they were over the sea. Bit like the Malaysian flight

Out over the Med at cruise height they'd have full two way contact on VHF. Living in Northants I can hear transmissions from aircraft north of Manchester or close to the Channel while they're at 30k plus feet.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
terrorism made sure the door cant be opened from the cabin area..

Well, yeees, I know, I was reading about it, but it appears that anyone in the cockpit can overide the door being opened using the emergency code from the cabin, which is what appears to have happened here - The Captain couldn't get back in, which is, and was, clearly dangerous in itself!

There surely has to be a different way of doing things!

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Do we class the 150 people as being the latest victims of 9/11 due to the door situation??

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Doesn't mention need for 3 pilots, just two staff [which should include one pilot and a member of the cabin crew] at any one time in the cockpit.

With hind-sight, the ability to over-ride the emergency door release code for the cabin door lock from the inside looks like a mistake.... presumably they were thinking that the internal over-ride lock could prevent a terrorist obtaining the door release code by extracting the emergency pass code in some extreme way from someone outside the cockpit never thinking it could be one of the pilots left alone in the cockpit who was the problem.... but then one pilot could always overcome the other at any time anyway so it all relies on trust.

8 minutes of mounting panic must have been totally horrific for the passengers and crew. The pilot locked out of the cockpit must have been at his wits' end.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I am so shocked at this turn of events. It is truly awful.
Without judging anyone at this stage if someone wants to commit suicide why take 149 other souls with you?
My thoughts and prayers are with every person touched by this event.
It's more than suicide. When people commit suicide it's about removing themselves, not everyone else. This is more like those incidents where people go around shooting everyone and then shoot themselves. It's like an underlying hate.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
It's more than suicide. When people commit suicide it's about removing themselves, not everyone else. This is more like those incidents where people go around shooting everyone and then shoot themselves. It's like an underlying hate.
I quite agree. I just don't understand the whole thing. All those poor souls just wiped out. Horrendous.

Top Bottom