German wings 4U 9525

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
As @Archie_tect says ,this must have been 8 mins of torture.
I am a terible flyer and this sort of thing makes me more concerned than terror nuts..
How do we deal with this one?

RIP

Brandane

Legendary Member

Remote control aircraft. Might seem far fetched just now, but drones are already used by the military, so it might not be too long before it's used for civilian airliners.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Remote control aircraft. Might seem far fetched just now, but drones are already used by the military, so it might not be too long before it's used for civilian airliners.

hmmm I know its going that way but Would You get on a plane without a pilot?

TVC

Until yesterday, no. Now I'm not sure whether I want to fly again, ever. That's from someone who used to absolutely love flying (a lot of years ago, though).
Don't drive either then, I looked on t'internet before posting to try to provide a figure, but it appears that no reliable information about how many deliberate fatal car crashes occur, but sources agree it does occur.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
hmmm I know its going that way but Would You get on a plane without a pilot?
2 pilots on board as usual but ATC (Air Traffic Control) for example could simply be running a computer program and if they realise something is wrong such as in the situation where the plane went into a dive for 8 minutes (most certainly not part of the normal flat) they could over ride any controls in the plane and fly remotely from their PC back on earth
so yes i would happily fly on a plane with such an over ride feature fitted, after all most of the flight is now done on auto pilot or 'George' as pilots call the system, although i believe (don't quoute me on it though) that the pilot has to manually land normally
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
turns out i guessed, or at least suggested, the cause before the investigators released they're findings
unlikely but possible as it turns out
Cheers Ed

Brandane

Legendary Member
Don't drive either then,
Statistically you are of course correct, as flying is still about the safest form of transport available. At least in a car crash you don't have that 8 minutes of sheer terror that the poor victims of the Germanwings crash must have endured.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It's more than suicide. When people commit suicide it's about removing themselves, not everyone else. This is more like those incidents where people go around shooting everyone and then shoot themselves. It's like an underlying hate.
Quite a large number of people are said to have psychopathic tendencies which are kept under control because of their upbringing and their own belief that they are good human beings. When a sequence of events occur which gives them an opportunity to realise their dark desires, coupled maybe with a period of some mental disorder the possibility of them acting on those dark feelings must be real.

As @Archie_tect says ,this must have been 8 mins of torture.
I am a terible flyer and this sort of thing makes me more concerned than terror nuts..

RIP

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some think-tank dreams up a requirement that all airliners anywhere in the world have at least 3 pilots on board, with at least 2 on the flight deck at all times.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I wouldn't be at all surprised if some think-tank dreams up a requirement that all airliners anywhere in the world have at least 3 pilots on board, with at least 2 on the flight deck at all times.
The Germans have just decided that will be the case, as I believe it already is in the US. I don't know if the third person has to be a pilot or just someone who can deal with a rogue pilot should it be necessary.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-after-co-pilot-blamed-for-germanwings-crash

F70100

Who, me ?
You can put a cabin attendant in the flight deck whilst one pilot takes a break but if the pilot remaining at the controls has malicious intent, it will have zero effect. A competent pilot with malicious intent could have the wings off before you could say "knife".

Top Bottom