Get Off My Wave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But there seems to be a minority in the cycling world who make it a badge of honour that they don't own anything in the least bit swanky, and don't think anyone else should either. And are keen to let everyone know that they shouldn't.
Is this reverse reverse snobbery?

Coveting the chip on your neighbour's shoulder?

Perhaps this belongs in the Moaning-about-moaning thread. :cheers:

Touché.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I went out at Fistral on August bank holiday Monday in 1980 and the only other surfer out was a South African guy who was really good (I followed him and did what he did).

The waves were big and clean and it was one of the best hours of my life. To this day, we are still best mates.

I didn't go to Newquay again until 1991 and me and my new girlfriend (now wife) pulled into the car park overlooking the bay and it was jam packed to the rafters with maybe ten or more going for the same wave.

I then settled on the emptier breaks in North Devon and as recently as 2006 I can remember me being out there with no more than a handful of other surfers on a good day at Croyde.

Not any more.

Today, if you look down on Croyde from the hills above, it's like someone has emptied an ants nest into a flushing toilet.

On the plus side, there are a lot more roads on which you can cycle in this country than there are waves you can surf.
I used to regularly surf Croyde bay, Puttsborough, Saunton, Fistral Constantine/Boobys, Harlyn and Gwenver mid 70s into early 80s, places like Croyde or Putts (at high tide) where the take-off zone was quite narrow could get punchy even then on a good day.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I only ever tried surfing once. A friend grew up near Newquay and was a half-decent competitive surfer and surf rescuer; she lent me a board and gave me some pointers - I really enjoyed it. This was in Holywell Bay, just south of Newquay and the better for it. However even then (late 90s) I was warned of the 'etiquette' of surfing and not to get in the way.

I last returned to Holywell Bay in August 1999 where I didn't surf but did see the total solar eclipse.

Fab Foodie

When I first moved to the UK in 2017, I would surf anything that rippled.

I once took my board to Llandudno on a family visit and it was like a lake but I still paddled out (much to the mirth of the locals). The only thing I caught was a scousers turd and a used tampax.

You do get waves in Dorset but they are storm driven and messy.
Not strictly true, surfed Sidmouth a couple of times and this is Lyme Regis! Not me I hasten to add...

1611324956887.png

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I used to surf the north Kent coast in the early 90s, specifically Joss Bay and Stone Bay. The only time that I had problems with locals was at a BUSA (University) competition down in Cornwall. The locals did not like their break being taken over and put a brick through our minibus window.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I used to surf the north Kent coast in the early 90s, specifically Joss Bay and Stone Bay. The only time that I had problems with locals was at a BUSA (University) competition down in Cornwall. The locals did not like their break being taken over and put a brick through our minibus window.
Sad fact is, none of those who bricked your van were local. They would have simply been blow ins looking to gain "local" beach cred.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Not strictly true, surfed Sidmouth a couple of times and this is Lyme Regis! Not me I hasten to add...

View attachment 570117
I go to Sidmouth a fair bit (family down there). Very sheltered waters but after a big storm, you do get some very glassy waves. Never surfed there though.

Fab Foodie

Ooo, Joss bay is just up the road! Bugger I don't have a surfboard any more....:wacko:

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I only ever tried surfing once. A friend grew up near Newquay and was a half-decent competitive surfer and surf rescuer; she lent me a board and gave me some pointers - I really enjoyed it. This was in Holywell Bay, just south of Newquay and the better for it. However even then (late 90s) I was warned of the 'etiquette' of surfing and not to get in the way.

I last returned to Holywell Bay in August 1999 where I didn't surf but did see the total solar eclipse.

Holywell bay is where I was for my 21st. It's a bit like the Atlantic facing Portugese beaches. It even has the big rocky outcrop jutting up on the left hand side of the bay.

When it gets big there, it is very "sucky dumpy" though. You will maybe get a five second ride at best. Bloody good five seconds though.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I still surf at the gentle age of 62, until covid we went to our caravan near Portreath for one long weekend a month all year round.
I don’t get hassle in the water ... they’re all probably waiting for me to arrest and make off with my board ...^_^

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I still surf at the gentle age of 62, until covid we went to our caravan near Portreath for one long weekend a month all year round.
I don’t get hassle in the water ... they’re all probably waiting for me to arrest and make off with my board ...^_^
I don't think there is an age limit to surfing.

You need a heap of fitness to punch out in the first place, but there are ways around that (if you know someone with a jetski).

Surfing is basically hours and hours of effort to get maybe five seconds of oneness with the sea.

But those five seconds of oneness stay with you forever.

Cycling is the same. All of those hours spent mending your bike, and then all of the effort to get to the top of the hill.

But the downhill speedfest makes it all worthwhile.

Fab Foodie

Top Bottom