"Get on the cycle path!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Can't remember if it was on this forum (Vike?) or another one where a member who is a copper was pulled over by a rookie traffic cop (accompanied by an experienced officer) while on his bike for 1) not wearing a helmet and 2) positioning himself in the middle of the road to turn right. The forum copper then went to town on the chap requiring him to fill in all the paperwork (stop notice?).

Love it :biggrin:

pshore

I've had 'you should be on the cyclepath' so many times in my village I asked the council to paint bike symbols on the road and they have just gone in. The forehead slapping part is I always get the abuse alongside a FOOTpath.

When I wrote that email to the council copying the local cycle campaign, a driver actually wrote to the campaign at the same time telling them they'be been hooting cyclists. Here's the campaign's response :smile:

http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/97/article13.html

The last one I reported was picking up the frailest of oap's on a community bus. I am sure they would love to meet me doing 25mph on the footpath outside their house like he wanted me to. So dumb.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Near the end of our 69 mile bike yesterday, I was going through here, approaching the pinch point with my daughter in front, when a black car started trying to squeeze past. As I sometimes do, I held my hand out and back in a stop signal and then waved them past with an exaggerated flourish once we got past the narrow part. As they went past, the stupid woman in the front passenger seat shouted "There's a cycle lane!". I am still trying to work out what her point was.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Near the end of our 69 mile bike yesterday, I was going through here, approaching the pinch point with my daughter in front, when a black car started trying to squeeze past. As I sometimes do, I held my hand out and back in a stop signal and then waved them past with an exaggerated flourish once we got past the narrow part. As they went past, the stupid woman in the front passenger seat shouted "There's a cycle lane!". I am still trying to work out what her point was.

Yes there is a cycle lane and by the sounds of it, you were using it. The road is too narrow for anyone to pass whilst you are in the cycle lane and TBH the lane is badly designed as it encourages cyclists to be in the gutter.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Yes there is a cycle lane and by the sounds of it, you were using it. The road is too narrow for anyone to pass whilst you are in the cycle lane and TBH the lane is badly designed as it encourages cyclists to be in the gutter.

In fact, to the council's credit, the cycle lane was erased some time ago, but they didn't do the best job of it so the remnants are showing through now.

Before that point I was cycling about a metre from the kerb at about 20mph but moved to primary position going into the pinch point once I was confident that the car had slowed and was going to wait behind. I would normally move to primary earlier, but not when there is a prat like that coming up behind; some form of negotiation first is advisory I think, albeit a rather assertive one.

Edit: It's probably worth noting, given the discussion of another current topic in the Campaigning forum, that my ability to negotiate with the following driver because of their belief that there was a cycle lane present, that I should be cycling in it, and that it makes it OK to overtake however little space there is.

fimm

Veteran
I've had 'you should be on the cyclepath' so many times in my village I asked the council to paint bike symbols on the road and they have just gone in. The forehead slapping part is I always get the abuse alongside a FOOTpath.

When I wrote that email to the council copying the local cycle campaign, a driver actually wrote to the campaign at the same time telling them they'be been hooting cyclists. Here's the campaign's response :smile:

http://www.camcycle..../article13.html

The last one I reported was picking up the frailest of oap's on a community bus. I am sure they would love to meet me doing 25mph on the footpath outside their house like he wanted me to. So dumb.

Wonderful...
I wonder what the "careful lady driver" made of the response?

Liked the police one as well

Top Bottom