"Get on the cycle path!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
When going about my daily riding, I often have people shout at me to "get on the cycle path". I simply reply "No, I don't have to". But the cycle path is littered with glass and stones.

What should I do?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ignore them.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it motorists shouting at you because you are on the road or pedestrians as you are on the pavement? :whistle: If the former as fossyant says, if the latter, they have a point!

John90

Über Member
Until I returned to cycling a few years ago I would have assumed that bike paths are where cyclists ought to be and that their purpose is to segregate bikes and cars making life safer for the former and more convenient for the latter. I suspect most drivers assume likewise, quite reasonably. It wasn't until I put some study to the matter - reading Cyclecraft for example - that I realised the reality is more complicated and I can't say I blame drivers for not understanding this. I'm not sure how to go about educating drivers but that's what's required. Does bike awareness and understanding feature in the driving test thee days? If not, it should.

GrasB

Veteran
Me: "Stand on the path & I'll ride towards you at 25mph"
Driver: "NO! That's f**king dangerous"
Me: "See you DO understand!"
Driver: :huh:

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Smile politely and sympathise with their partners
rolleyes.gif

Top Bottom