"Get on the cycle path!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Get used to it.

A bus driver in Manchester (shortly after knocking me off trying to beat me around an illegally parked DHL van) offered the opinion that he'd sooner "fix a puncture than be squashed". These drivers have had extra training, and in this case, are on one of the busiest bus and cycle routes in and out of the city.

If they can't be bothered to know what cyclists are allowed to ride on, and their responsibility to them, there's little hope that the everyday motorist will know.

roadrunner20

my local cycle path starts at the start of a long hill climb into a industrial esate, it then ends 3 metres down the road......

Another cycle path starts with you moving onto the pavement then ends with you exiting onto the busy main road from the pavement, madness.

The best ones i have seen are in the centre of London (blue ones) which give lots of space and "most of the time" placed quite well.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Agreed, over here in the States we also don't have enough information educating drivers about cyclists rights to the road. One of the funniest encounters I had with someone yelling at me to get on the sidewalk/pavement (here in Florida where I live it is legal to ride on the sidewalk/pavement. It was a pedestrian walking on the sidewalk/pavement.

How is that for irony? A pedestrian telling a cyclist to get on the sidewalk/pavement?

That's odd. I guess some people just look for any excuse to have a go at someone.

I had a pedestrian have a go at me for running a red light, whilst I was stopped at a red light.
I kept saying "I didn't. Look, I've stopped!"

jonas123

I've had a police car stop and tell me to get on the cycle lane. The road is so much nicer to ride on, it is maintained (whereas the cycle lane is cracked up everywhere and full of glass). The worst thing about cycle lanes is having to stop at each sideroad to cross it, whereas on the mainroad you can just cycle. It takes so much more effort on the cycling lane

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Whilst I was cycling along the road yesterday I actually had a cyclist (coming in the opposite direction, on the shared cycle path by the road) make a hand signal suggesting that I should go on the shared cycle path too. Given that I was doing about 24mph, I didn't have time to debate with him the advantages (or not) of my riding at 24mph on a 6ft wide path with other cyclists and pedestrains, or the Government's own advice on the matter. For the record, all the drivers I met yesterday were all very courteous, and none of them indicated that they shared the cyclist's sentiments. Curious.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Blow them a kiss and wave at them enthusiastically like they are a long lost friend...

It works....

Smile and wave - really shorts a circuit. :wacko: Been a common tactic for any club rider for years - I used this stuff 15 years ago.

Been copied by Disney with the Penguins of Madagascar.... 'smile and wave'... to a Tee........ :becool:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get used to it.

A bus driver in Manchester (shortly after knocking me off trying to beat me around an illegally parked DHL van) offered the opinion that he'd sooner "fix a puncture than be squashed". These drivers have had extra training, and in this case, are on one of the busiest bus and cycle routes in and out of the city.

If they can't be bothered to know what cyclists are allowed to ride on, and their responsibility to them, there's little hope that the everyday motorist will know.

Get's me he tried this on with an experienced cyclist. We all know there are crazy student's every where, on bikes on Oxford Road. I avoid !

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
000_0001.jpg
000_0005.jpg
000_0006.jpg

000_0004.jpg
000_0002.jpg

Parrot of Doom

I've had a police car stop and tell me to get on the cycle lane. The road is so much nicer to ride on, it is maintained (whereas the cycle lane is cracked up everywhere and full of glass). The worst thing about cycle lanes is having to stop at each sideroad to cross it, whereas on the mainroad you can just cycle. It takes so much more effort on the cycling lane

I would love that to happen to me.

Can't remember if it was on this forum (Vike?) or another one where a member who is a copper was pulled over by a rookie traffic cop (accompanied by an experienced officer) while on his bike for 1) not wearing a helmet and 2) positioning himself in the middle of the road to turn right. The forum copper then went to town on the chap requiring him to fill in all the paperwork (stop notice?).

Top Bottom