"Get on the cycle path!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Preferred action - ignore them

If they persist - "Needs a half million pound upgrade before it's rideable. They're closing a couple of schools next year to do it". Or anything equally stupid delivered with a straight face.

TechnoTim2011

If drivers don't understand about cycle paths then they haven't read the highway code.

I doubt one in 10,000 drivers have read an updated Highway code since they passed their test. This is part of the issue with drivers, many no longer know the road laws and current advice.

Where I live we have four sections of cycle path. Three cover three quarters of a roundabout (but not the busiest junction and most dangerous section, I have only ever used it in rush hour when not going that way) and the fourth is a small thirty metre section leading to a bike ahead section at some lights.

This is despite us having some wide roads and one that would suit a cycle path perfectly (from one major housing estate into Town on a road that could easily take four lanes)

There is definitely demand for them, as evidenced by the fact that at least half the cyclists drive on pavements by default. I saw one woman at a junction signal left to cycle the wrong way up a one way street then cross the junction, hop up on a pavement and do exactly what she indicated to do. Being close to Essex driving standards are generally poor to diabolical so pavement used more often than the roads.

The Police turn a blind eye, and one PCSO rides home to his village on the pavement all the way. I suppose if our useless councils will do nothing they conclude that better to ignore it than scrape a cyclist off the pavement.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
These reports about cyclists being told to get into the cyclepath confuse me. In the last couple of years, as part of my very nonsensical and impossible challenge to ride every road, I have covered all the roads in a 74 sq mile area of my flat in London. I don't think I've ever been told to get out of the road and I'm by no means a gutter-hugger. Of course I get the occasional beep but that's usually for riding in primary - and the beepers usually get an earful from me at the next set of lights because bullying drives me nuts. But no one has ever shouted that at me where there are unsuitable cycle lanes/paths.

What am I doing wrong?

Davidc

Guru
What am I doing wrong?

You're riding in the London area. Don't think I've ever heard it either in central London or near my mums in Cheam.

I only seem to get that one a couple of times a year, and it's usually about the cycle path on the main road nearest to me here!

The most common one, at least once a month is variations on "You shouldn't be riding in the middle of the road" or just "Get over" - usually plus a couple of expletives.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Sometimes you don't get one for ages, and other times there are loads. Most commonly told to me on my youtube channel, but I've had quite a few in real life too. The funnest one was a very deep roar "You're breaking the law", meaning by riding in the road and not on the cycle path on the pavement on Bromley Common.

jonesy

Guru
I think ignoring has to be the best policy, though I'm afraid I've often given in to the temptation to shout rude things accompanied by rude gestures. Problem with that is that everyone else just sees a stereotypical angry cyclist and isn't aware of the reasons why. There is rarely time to convey any factual messages about why they are in the wrong. I don't have that many incidents with drivers, but during the last 5 years, when my commute takes me alongside a short section of shared use pavement, this has been the most common cause of conflict.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Sometimes you don't get one for ages, and other times there are loads. Most commonly told to me on my youtube channel, but I've had quite a few in real life too. The funnest one was a very deep roar "You're breaking the law", meaning by riding in the road and not on the cycle path on the pavement on Bromley Common.

Ah, yes I've noticed that cycle path. If you're going to steal pavement space from pedestrians on the basis that virtually no one walks any more you should at least do it in a useful and safe way. 40 years ago, when I was in my teens, that road was the principal route into Kent from here. 40 years on, it still is, as far as I'm concerned. If I wanted to walk into Kent, I'd use the pavement. But I hate walking.

Blow them a kiss and wave at them enthusiastically like they are a long lost friend...

Until I returned to cycling a few years ago I would have assumed that bike paths are where cyclists ought to be and that their purpose is to segregate bikes and cars making life safer for the former and more convenient for the latter. I suspect most drivers assume likewise, quite reasonably. It wasn't until I put some study to the matter - reading Cyclecraft for example - that I realised the reality is more complicated and I can't say I blame drivers for not understanding this. I'm not sure how to go about educating drivers but that's what's required. Does bike awareness and understanding feature in the driving test thee days? If not, it should.

Agreed, over here in the States we also don't have enough information educating drivers about cyclists rights to the road. One of the funniest encounters I had with someone yelling at me to get on the sidewalk/pavement (here in Florida where I live it is legal to ride on the sidewalk/pavement. It was a pedestrian walking on the sidewalk/pavement.

How is that for irony? A pedestrian telling a cyclist to get on the sidewalk/pavement?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
My very fave cycle lane intersects with the fire exit and main entrance of a big carvery pub, apparently someone with a degree planned that one.

http://maps.google.c...,253.78,,1,8.44

Maybe someone designing a cycle lane should be expected to have cycled at least 100km in the last month and have cycled on at least 50% of the roads covered by the Local Authority in a month , before being given the right to design such a thing.

Zoiders

Maybe they should be expected to just not be an idiot, it's not experience related it's simple common sense.

You don't have to stick your hand in the fire to know it will burn you.

Nah, that was just the Judas Priest tour bus

Top Bottom