"Get on the cycle path!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

whistling.gif

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"

That just tickled me! Haha :biggrin:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
When going about my daily riding, I often have people shout at me to "get on the cycle path". I simply reply "No, I don't have to". But the cycle path is littered with glass and stones.

What should I do?

Don't even bother replying. Any response can be seen as a challenge. I used to get worked up about such things now I find the "Zen Place" and let it go. (Most of the time)

snorri

Legendary Member
What should I do?

Report the path problem to the people responsible, probably your local authority, it is better to write a letter or email, as then you have a record. If no progress is made after a period, get in touch with the local councillor for that area and complain to him or her that your defect report to the Council appears to have been overlooked.

Regarding the car occupants, blow them a kiss next time they shout at you.:smile:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Compose a literate and well-argued letter for publication in your local newspaper, detailing the abuse to which you've been subjected and pointing out the legal position, which is that cyclists have the right to use any road on which cycling has not been prohibited (mainly motorways, but also a few dual carriageways such as estuarial bridges and a few tunnels - the A50 through Stoke springs to mind as a road I wouldn't dream of using anyway), quote the DfT draft code of conduct for cyclists which says (from memory) "If you intend to cycle quickly (18 mph / 30 kph) you should be on the road". If you feel like it, quote the Highway Code Rule 61 - "Use of these facilities is not compulsory".

You might want to pre-empt some of the responses by pointing out that roads are paid for from general taxation (motorways and trunk roads from the Consolidated Fund which is where most taxation such as income tax, VAT and, er, VED aka "Road Tax" or even "Road Fund Licence", still referred to in current car adverts, ends up; other roads are paid for from the highest tier of local government, i.e. Council Tax + grants from the consolidated fund).

You might also want to submit your letter on this forum for peer discussion before sending it to your local paper.

The end product will probably filter out online feedback from the relatively thoughtful motorists, leaving a frightening set of responses from the knuckle-draggers, who will be mercilessly destroyed by the superior intellect of contributors to this forum.

Alternatively, ignore this post. I'm currently outside of 3 bottles of rather good lagers on offer from Waitrose, and most of a bottle of Pinotage from Lidl. How's that for a demographic?

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Ignore them.
Totally agree ! What would a stupid motorist know about the law and who can use the roads ! I had a truch driver say the same because i would not use the cycle path past the Trafford Centre......of course he was right NOT !!!

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Compose a literate and well-argued letter for publication in your local newspaper, detailing the abuse to which you've been subjected and pointing out the legal position, which is that cyclists have the right to use any road on which cycling has not been prohibited (mainly motorways, but also a few dual carriageways such as estuarial bridges and a few tunnels - the A50 through Stoke springs to mind as a road I wouldn't dream of using anyway), quote the DfT draft code of conduct for cyclists which says (from memory) "If you intend to cycle quickly (18 mph / 30 kph) you should be on the road". If you feel like it, quote the Highway Code Rule 61 - "Use of these facilities is not compulsory".

You might want to pre-empt some of the responses by pointing out that roads are paid for from general taxation (motorways and trunk roads from the Consolidated Fund which is where most taxation such as income tax, VAT and, er, VED aka "Road Tax" or even "Road Fund Licence", still referred to in current car adverts, ends up; other roads are paid for from the highest tier of local government, i.e. Council Tax + grants from the consolidated fund).

You might also want to submit your letter on this forum for peer discussion before sending it to your local paper.

The end product will probably filter out online feedback from the relatively thoughtful motorists, leaving a frightening set of responses from the knuckle-draggers, who will be mercilessly destroyed by the superior intellect of contributors to this forum.

Alternatively, ignore this post. I'm currently outside of 3 bottles of rather good lagers on offer from Waitrose, and most of a bottle of Pinotage from Lidl. How's that for a demographic?

That is a brilliant idea! I am sure they might not make it long but it would probably be an insightful storey to them.

Thanks! ;)

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Totally agree ! What would a stupid motorist know about the law and who can use the roads ! I had a truch driver say the same because i would not use the cycle path past the Trafford Centre......of course he was right NOT !!!

The problem with the Trafford Centre is that the cycle path follows the path, not the road. Causing unneeded and unwanted time wasting and inconvenience.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
No matter what anyone shouts at me, I just look at my watch, and shout back

"It's half past five mate" or whatever the time might be. Ha.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
...and any time it's an identifiable commercial driver, complain directly to their employers, pointing out that the drivers should not be giving out incorrect advice.

Top Bottom