Get on the road with "that"!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Shared paths can work both ways, part of my commute has a footpath and a separate, wider cycle path. Except the cycle path is much better if you want to walk with your friends across a long line, or to give your bastard dog somewhere to run back and forth across, or for the council to place inexplicable bollards on a path you can't access by car.

I come across all miserable, not quite miserable enough to make a scene but miserable enough to want to make a scene.

Airzound pumped up to 130 psi, let them pass then turn round and coast stealthily behind them, at a distance of about a foot give it the full QE2

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Moron in his car pulled alongside me, slowed right down - holding up more of the traffic than I ever could - and yelled at me to get on the cycle path.
I believe the customary response is to shout back that they should get on the motorway. It doesn't matter if there isn't a motorway nearby or going where they want to go, as often the cycleway doesn't go where you want to go and that doesn't stop the morons.

All this shared path rubbish just invites confusion and confrontation.
Not really because they seem to work OK in neighbouring countries but a combination of our penny-pinching crap substandard construction of something that is already amazingly cheap compared to motorways and general bloodymindedness of a nation that seems to like to disobey rules whenever possible seems to mean they don't work well here.

Shared paths can work both ways, part of my commute has a footpath and a separate, wider cycle path. Except the cycle path is much better if you want to walk with your friends across a long line, or to give your bastard dog somewhere to run back and forth across, or for the council to place inexplicable bollards on a path you can't access by car.
If a route is busy enough, marking a footway refuge along one side can at least make it more predictable which way they'll move when you ring a bell to warn them you're there, but you can't count on it.

As for the bollards - get them removed whenever possible, for the sake of mobility scooter and wheelchair users.

The road is a shared facility - See how well that operates!
Yeah... I've sometimes opined that if cycles destroyed whatever they crashed into, as motor vehicles tend to, then we'd get a lot less random crap obstructing the cycleways.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
All this shared path rubbish just invites confusion and confrontation.
Yup, that's pretty much it. :smile:

As to the shouty people, I just ignore and carry on regardless. Stopping to remonstrate never really achieves anything, and if they hold me up and waste my time, then it's a point to them ... isn't it? I can see how such intolerance from peds could make a cyclist want to put them straight, but when you're dealing with people who have a piss poor attitude to start with, you're hardly likely to change their mind with a couple of throwaway quips and one-liners.

Now where's that pump? :giggle:

Sandra6

Veteran
I believe the customary response is to shout back that they should get on the motorway. It doesn't matter if there isn't a motorway nearby or going where they want to go, as often the cycleway doesn't go where you want to go and that doesn't stop the morons.

Not really because they seem to work OK in neighbouring countries but a combination of our penny-pinching crap substandard construction of something that is already amazingly cheap compared to motorways and general bloodymindedness of a nation that seems to like to disobey rules whenever possible seems to mean they don't work well here.

If a route is busy enough, marking a footway refuge along one side can at least make it more predictable which way they'll move when you ring a bell to warn them you're there, but you can't count on it.

As for the bollards - get them removed whenever possible, for the sake of mobility scooter and wheelchair users.

Yeah... I've sometimes opined that if cycles destroyed whatever they crashed into, as motor vehicles tend to, then we'd get a lot less random crap obstructing the cycleways.
I thought afterwards that I should've pointed to the bus stop and suggest he use that.

Drago

Legendary Member
When I first became a Sergeant I was running a community policing team. One day a very irate chap presented himself at the front desk of my police station absolutely seething because one of my officers had been riding his bicycle on the 'pavement'. I tried to advise the gent that the stretch in question is actually a shared use ped-cycle path, and if he'd care to walk the route instead of driving by in his car he would see that very worn, but nevertheless still visible, markings painted on the ground.

Time wasting tool. If you're going to have a pop at someone for riding a bike where they shouldn't you should at least ensure that they are indeed not permitted to ride there before opening your mouth and making yourself look like a chump.

broadway

Veteran

You may be right :smile:

Mar2009.jpg

Jul2011.jpg

Jun2015.jpg

Opposite to the OP

On one of the trikes when a car drew up alongside and pointed out that I should be on the cycle track

Pointed out the sign and that it only applied to bicycles, tricycles were not allowed on cycle paths because of the third wheel and the size

The driver looked at me, said they hadn't realised that... and drove off

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Opposite to the OP

On one of the trikes when a car drew up alongside and pointed out that I should be on the cycle track

Pointed out the sign and that it only applied to bicycles, tricycles were not allowed on cycle paths because of the third wheel and the size

The driver looked at me, said they hadn't realised that... and drove off
What do you know... sometimes two wrongs do make a right!

Unless that motorist is now going to abuse any trike riders on cycle tracks :-/

Top Bottom