Get some f*****g lights!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
[QUOTE 1262503"]I just got the impression that the OP was throwing his toys out of his pram and having a little temper tantrum.[/quote]

hypocrisy_meter-730204.jpg

[QUOTE 1262512"]
It should be the law, and I'd quite happily wear a helmet. And no it's not the law at the moment.
[/quote]

You can wear one if you want, as I do. No need for legislation IMO.

[QUOTE 1262512"]
It should be the law, and I'd quite happily wear a helmet. And no it's not the law at the moment.
[/quote]

Australia - it is law but they are thinking of repealing it. It's an inhibitor to getting people into cycling is what they are saying and am inclined to agree.

The issue IMO is more to do with fact helmet wearing is of benefit to London more than many other places (like so many things London has it's own quirks - to which I can testify after 6 years of commuting, by train and a bike at the London end - though thankfully no longer). Banning artic trucks as I believe Boris is considering would make it significantly nicer place to be on the road and pavement. Cycling proficiency - or abilities - I did cycling proficiency as a cub scout and my father taught excellent road side to both my brother and I about owning the road - signalling clearly and making sure you look properly when doing so too.

These sorts of things would not only make more cyclists safer but increase the confidence of many, especially in our very busy noisy capital. The helmet is a last resort - if it is saving you then all else has failed. Though before anyone says, you can allow for others and their driving as we must do anyway but you can't account for all behaviours - that is true. Helmets are a good idea - a very good idea - but to make it law would be missing the point.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
That said, my comments were something of a cheap shot at the OP.

Okay, nice to see someone with the grace to admit it here! :thumbsup:

Onto those to whom such manners are clearly alien - BentMikey - you can laugh all you like, I am telling you what has been reported to me - I have got two very effective back lights as well as the 'hump'! But it's the hump that gets the 'thank-you's'...

And BTW BM, I might just have a little more experience of cycling in such difficult conditions (permanent snow and ice and almost total darkness on much of my commute for 4 months+ of the year, with frequent driving snow storms) than you... :rolleyes:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A helmet isn't going to save you from a lorry!
It saves you from minor head injuries.

Onto those to whom such manners are clearly alien - BentMikey - you can laugh all you like, I am telling you what has been reported to me - I have got two very effective back lights as well as the 'hump'! But it's the hump that gets the 'thank-you's'...
What rear lights have you got then?

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

You can all say what you like in reply to my OP obviously but my level of hypocrisy here is a lot lower than that indicated on the silly picture. I am a keen cyclist and I am fully aware of what it's like to be honked at, as well as to be knocked off my bike by a moronic and obviously blind motorist. The cyclist I did honk at, well it was more of a brief toot than a blast of the horn.

Over the past few weeks I have told quite a few cyclists to their face to get some lights on their bike - I invariably get either a blank and uncomprehending stare or a mouthful of abuse. Round my way of late, the unlit ninja breed of cyclist is outnumbering the lit and hi-vis'd breed and it's, quite frankly, pissing me off.

That's not to mention the unlit cyclist on the pavement a couple of weeks back doing a rate of knots on the very steep downhill bit of London Road by the Commandery. He was within inches, quite literally of taking me out (I was in pedestrian mode). He was doing at least 20mph, probably more and he could have easily killed me.

I am losing sympathy rapidly with many of my fellow cyclists right now.

You can argue against if you like but my argument remains - get some decent lights and some light coloured clothing and use them. If you don't then (on the lights at least) you are breaking the law as well as putting yourself, and others at risk of death and injury. If you insist on dressing in black on a black bike in the dark and with no lights then don't moan when I don't see you!

Jezston

Über Member
I have one of these on my seatpost:
http://www.wiggle.co...led-rear-light/

And one of these over my rucksack:
http://www.ledwear.c...edbackpackcover

During the day, particularly during overcast or misty days, it's the rucksack cover that gets noticed.

When there's daylight, hivis seems to cut through and shout "cyclist!" far more than any lights do.

Shame the light part of the rucksack cover is terribly, terribly made. I'm on my third and already 2 of the leds have gone.

In the dark, or particularly under orange streetlights, the hivis kind of blends into everything else.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend

and

Oh, and double Lumicycle headlights on the front...

How about you?

I've got two of the first (well, the updated 610), plus one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-tl-ld1100-led-rear-light/

Plus 4 photon back-up lights and a fibre flare.

http://fibreflare.com/

On the front I've got twin lumicycles and a couple of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-hl-el410-led-front-light/

I've been complimented on my lighting numerous times. No one has ever complained about a lack of hi-viz (which I don't wear).

Sam

benb

Evidence based cyclist
You can all say what you like in reply to my OP obviously but my level of hypocrisy here is a lot lower than that indicated on the silly picture...

Assuming you mean the one I put up - that was aimed at Lee, as he accused you of throwing your toys out of the pram and having a tantrum, which I found rather amusing.

Firestorm

Veteran
On a dimly lit residential street the other night I saw a dark shape in the road go past me as I was walking home from the station. As it passed under the next streetlight I saw it was a woman on a bike, no lights , no reflectors and hi viz clothing would not have mattered because the view from behind was obscured by the child seat , with junior on board !

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yep, I'm not surprised. Both of those are old and relatively dim LEDs by modern standards. Get some more modern lights, and your hump will be rendered pointless. It already doesn't work in some situations because it isn't active in the way proper lights are.

Jezston

Über Member
I'm not sure about that - as raised in my self-illumination thread, when I've seen cyclists with very bright lights, you end up only seeing the lights and not the cyclist. I'd say you need at least reflectives, too.

I'd have thought just being a couple of red dots, even if bright and flashing, wouldn't necessarily tell a driver that there is a cyclist there.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you insist on dressing in black on a black bike in the dark and with no lights then don't moan when I don't see you!

Too many criteria Debian. Is your beef the colour of the bike the dress or the lack of lights? Surely it is simply the latter.

Apart for the bit in italics, well, I am Spartacus. But seriously, flourescent clothing is near useless in a lot of lighting conditions, and in some winter ones black is better than light coloured stuff imo & ime (as driver motorcyclist, cyclist and pedestrian). Reflectives mark you out from the light clutter in towns and in the dark in the country when caught by another vehicles lights.

A novel arrangment of rear lights, noite the plural, is effective. A single powerful rear can often have you mistaken for a diferent sort of vehicle, or one with defective rear lights, unless and until pedal reflectors or other refective kit comes in to play.

So if you see me insisting on dressing in black and riding my black bike in the dark with lights on you can have a moan if you want but I reserve the right to moan back at you ;)

Top Bottom