Get some f*****g lights!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

[rant mode on] I am getting really well pissed off. I'm still driving to work as a result of me being knocked off the bike back in September, resulting in an injured knee, followed by me buggering up my back a few weeks back.

This morning it's very foggy and very frosty, visibility was not brilliant.

This morning I very nearly took out two cyclists in the space of two minutes!

One was coming down London Road at a considerable rate of knots towards Worcester, I was waiting to pull out from a side road. It was only as I was actually pulling out that I saw him - about 10 yards away. Dark clothing, no lights, I simply did not see him / her. Nothing happened but it was a lucky escape.

A few moments later I'm driving up London Road and there's another ninja, wobbling up the hill, no lights and not even a reflector that I could see. Dressed all in black on a black bike. I saw him when I was about twenty feet away. Sorry and all that but he got a blast of the horn as was passing.

I then saw three other similar cyclists in the space of the next five minutes!

If there'd been a collision between me and either of the cyclists I would no-doubt have been deemed to be at fault but in reality I wouldn't have been, not in any rational way.

Fecking idiot tosspots!!! Get some lights you twatting, unthinking, selfish, idiotic balls of lard!!! [\rant mode off]

cd365

Guru
No lights really annoy me but the ones who put lights on which you can't see even when close up (batteries failing or just cheap nasty lights) are just as bad.

Jezston

Über Member
Got a lift from Nottingham to Derby by my flatmate this morning as I needed to take my computer in to work (ah the benefits of an IT department being your free computer repair service!) - very misty in Derby - passed about 5 cyclists on the way into the center and not one of them had any form of lights whatsoever. One didn't even have any reflectors either. All on BSOs with the seats too low spinning slowly in low gears.

Fortunately it was fairly light by then.

Is anyone here from Derby? I'd like to speak frankly about what I think of people from Derby.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Got a lift from Nottingham to Derby by my flatmate this morning as I needed to take my computer in to work (ah the benefits of an IT department being your free computer repair service!) - very misty in Derby - passed about 5 cyclists on the way into the center and not one of them had any form of lights whatsoever. One didn't even have any reflectors either. All on BSOs with the seats too low spinning slowly in low gears.

Fortunately it was fairly light by then.

Is anyone here from Derby? I'd like to speak frankly about what I think of people from Derby.
I used to live about 10 miles outside Derby, and Beanzontoast lives there... but he's not here at the moment and I'm fine with anything you wish to say about Derby folk... so fire away. :biggrin:

Jezston

Über Member
They are all really, really thick.

Seriously, walk around Derby town center and it's like being in a zombie movie or something. Most of the people I work with here in Derby aren't from Derby, but those that are all appear to be in a daze continuously, talk really slow and seem to struggle to understand basic instruction.

If you ever find yourself visiting Derby, don't drink the water. Just be careful.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
They are all really, really thick.

Seriously, walk around Derby town center and it's like being in a zombie movie or something. Most of the people I work with here in Derby aren't from Derby, but those that are all appear to be in a daze continuously, talk really slow and seem to struggle to understand basic instruction.

If you ever find yourself visiting Derby, don't drink the water. Just be careful.

Its like Southampton, its not that they're thicko, its the workin class heritage. You're not encouraged academically.

Anywayyyy. Lights. Yes. Agree in FULL Debian. I feel like sticking a poster on the back of the bike advertisng that its the law, and sticking one up at work.

potsy

Rambler
Have a guy at work that is still riding in on a hybrid with normal slick tyres,good on him and all that.
Only trouble is he doesn't think it necessary to have his front light on,despite being clad solely in black, and on the road at 5am or 10pm.
Weirdly he has a nice bright rear light and a fully working torch strapped to his bars that he says he turns on when he gets to a junction/RAB
ohmy.gif

Have given up trying to get him to see sense,so now just leave him to it.
wacko.gif

scouserinlondon

Having witnessed the antics of london cyclists recently from a driver's perspective it reinforced my policy of having my lights on all the time. I don't by into the 'you only need lights in london to be seen with' I have the hope 1 on reasonably high all the time and a fenix torch on my head. There's so much light pollution in London I believe you have to turn up the lumens just to be noticed.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
[rant mode on] I am getting really well pissed off. I'm still driving to work as a result of me being knocked off the bike back in September, resulting in an injured knee, followed by me buggering up my back a few weeks back.

This morning it's very foggy and very frosty, visibility was not brilliant.

This morning I very nearly took out two cyclists in the space of two minutes!

One was coming down London Road at a considerable rate of knots towards Worcester, I was waiting to pull out from a side road. It was only as I was actually pulling out that I saw him - about 10 yards away. Dark clothing, no lights, I simply did not see him / her. Nothing happened but it was a lucky escape.

A few moments later I'm driving up London Road and there's another ninja, wobbling up the hill, no lights and not even a reflector that I could see. Dressed all in black on a black bike. I saw him when I was about twenty feet away. Sorry and all that but he got a blast of the horn as was passing.

I then saw three other similar cyclists in the space of the next five minutes!

If there'd been a collision between me and either of the cyclists I would no-doubt have been deemed to be at fault but in reality I wouldn't have been, not in any rational way.

Fecking idiot tosspots!!! Get some lights you twatting, unthinking, selfish, idiotic balls of lard!!! [\rant mode off]

Total idiots IMHO. I have two front 2 back minimum sometimes hang another red on my back if riding on unlit roads.

Interesting that you think you would be held at fault in a collision,obviously noone wants an accident but wouldnt their lack of lights put the responsibility on them legally?

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Interesting that you think you would be held at fault in a collision,obviously noone wants an accident but wouldnt their lack of lights put the responsibility on them legally?

It might put some of the responsibility on the cyclist but maybe not, who knows what arguments may be trotted out and what view plod would take? At the very least it would waste a huge amount of my time giving statements to police, possibly having to defend a careless driving charge, being pestered with amulance chasing lawyers, etc, etc. I know from my collision back in September how much time gets eaten up and that's a case where the driver who hit me admitted liability.

Then there's damage to one's own car to consider and get repaired, especially if, like my first near miss this morning, a cyclist could come barrelling into the side of the car and at the very least that would be a huge dent in the door. It's entirely possible that said cyclist could end up inside your side window having gone over the bars causing you, the driver, serious injury. If not injury causing you could be well out of pocket.

No, sorry... any cyclist who doesn't use decent lights and wear reasonably visible clothing, especially in this current run of weather is an ignorant, selfish tosser. Actually, why do I say I'm sorry, I'm not!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Having witnessed the antics of london cyclists recently from a driver's perspective it reinforced my policy of having my lights on all the time. I don't by into the 'you only need lights in london to be seen with' I have the hope 1 on reasonably high all the time and a fenix torch on my head. There's so much light pollution in London I believe you have to turn up the lumens just to be noticed.

Pretty much. In the morning you will also be competting with the low lying sun. So at this time of year i run my lights all the time for commuting.

139NI

i agree. i have two front lights on the front. Its excessive but if you had just one and they blink, at every split second, you dont have a front light on - if you follow. This might be the moment at night where the diligent motorist looks round and doesnt see your light as it blinks.

Thus, by having two, i have at least one on at any time..

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
[QUOTE 1262491"]
You said yourself that the conditions were very foggy and cold. Therefore anything quicker then 20 mph in a urban area and you are going to fast for the conditions imo.

You go on about 'selfish tossers' but the quote I see above has clearly been written by one. Grow up, slow down, be more alert or walk/get the bus.

And define 'decent'?
[/quote]

Er, Lee, are you suggesting that it is sensible not to have decent lights, wear reasonably visible clothing etc.?

Seems pretty obvious that this is dangerous and selfish behaviour, which most of use have come across, and I can't quite see why you are being so rude to someone who has every right to complain about it.

In terms of 'decent', this might help you: http://www.ctc.org.u...aspx?tabid=4071

asterix

Comrade Member
Can understand the OP's POV but pedestrians don't have lights and in fog I would and do drive at a speed decided with that in mind.

It's always tempting to blast the horn when annoyed, but it is a) illegal and b) driving should not put you into such a frame of mind. After all, in a collision with a cyclist you would walk away unscathed in all probability; they might be killed.

Top Bottom