Getting a bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

I went to the appointment for the bike fit. I learned a bit and now my bike set for me. I knew the bike was big for me and I figured the seat would need to come forward. I didn't expect to drop my seat height!
He did measurements and observed me on a machine. Finally adjusted my bike and tuned a little. The seat height on the test bike seemed higher. I'm going for a short ride tomorrow and may have to adjust the seat up slightly. I found going up hill to cause discomfort in my knees.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I have an elbow full of titanium which aches if in the same position too long with load through it. Fully disclosed to the bike fit technician, but like you I started to suffer discomfort and reverted to my own hard-won-through-experience settings.

A bike fit might make an improvement in biomechanical efficiency (although that remains open to debate, nones of the many systems agree with one another completely and they can't all be right, and even some pros eschew them) but for you and me nothing, absolutely nothing whatsoevever, is more important than comfort.

Nothing, nada, nowt, nil, not a single thing trumps comfort for importsnce for the causal, commuter, utility and recreational rider, but people get all excited about a bike fit and forget that fundamental poimt. They also forget that even if it woks for them personally and nrings about an improvement in oerformance and/ or endurance that they then need it annually to account for changes in weight, muscle mass, flexibility, arc of movement etc, that comes with the natural ageing process. People have one session and then pin the numbers to the noticeboard and home, and years later are still setting their bikes up to those figures - it doesn't quite work like that, even when it does work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

A bike fit might make an improvement in biomechanical efficiency (although and home, and years later are still setting their bikes up to those figures - it doesn't quite work like that, even when it does work.
I'm agreeing that comfort should be formost. I cycle for sport not commuting. Sport in the sense of exercise and fitness. Long distance rides 100 miles plus. My aim is to get faster. Comfort is absolutely a must.

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

So I got the bike fit. He set the sit lower than expected. On the testing bike it seemed ok, but on my actual it was way too low. I went riding today and found it difficult. After 4 miles I moved that up a little. After 2 more miles I raised the seat more. It felt fine then. Still lower than I'm used to. Finally I had to make sure the seat was level as it seemed to tilt forward slightly. Should be good for tomorrow.

I guess the bike fit was worth it. But I was already pretty much adjusted the bike where it needed to be and he even said that I was more knowledgeable than most of the customers he has had. The only thing he really did was provide pedal extensions so my hip and heal were in line as the bike pedal distance was too narrow. The handle bars were measured and found to be dead on with my shoulder width for comparison. So I guess I can live with the satisfaction that my bike is fitted for me as confirmed by a professional.

Top Bottom