Getting a bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling_Samurai

I have arthritis in my knees that lead me to cycling. Used to run cross country when I was younger. Have had some injury and pains in the last 7 months that I worked past on my own. Adjusting my fit and all. Came across a gent at a coffee shop and had questions about his setup which ended with a referral for a bike fit. I only still had hand tingling that I was experiencing but have mostly worked that out. So I am still thinking that a professional bike fit may be beneficial but I rather not spend the money if I didn't have to. Just sharing to see if anyone has anything to share on the topic.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you have injuries, get one done by a physio if you can, not a bloke in a bike shop with a computer and no medical training

All those who have had a bike fit will tell you how wonderful it was. They will tell you that they bought an absolutely perfect bike from the guys doing the bike fit.

All those who haven't had a bike fit will tell you that they bought an absolutely perfect bike from local shop or even on line. They will tell you how much they saved on not paying for a bike fit.

Who is right? Neither of them and both of them. For some folk bike fits are an excellent idea. For others it's a waste of money. Which is it for you? Unfortunately there's no way to know in advance.

I've bought bikes with a bike fit and without. Couldn't tell the difference.

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

All those who have had a bike fit will tell you how wonderful it was. They will tell you that they bought an absolutely perfect bike from the guys doing the fit.
Yeah I'm thinking that the guy is going to promote his bike business by "encouraging" me to buy a bike from him.

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

If you have injuries, get one done by a physio if you can, not a bloke in a bike shop with a computer and no medical training
The injuries were numb penis, knee pain, and tingling of the hands. Solved by buying a better seat, adjusting my bike fit and adjusting my bike fit. Seeing a physio may be helpful but kinda in the same boat as the pro bike fit.

Drago

Legendary Member
I would agree with Vickster. Someone with proper anatomical knowledge would be my first port of call.

The problem with bike fits is they they are not some simple, universally equivalent process. The various competing systems all differ and some contradict others, sometimes quite fundamentally, in their interpretation of biomecechanical movement - this being the case, which one would be correct? They can't all be right.

My own experience of bike fit accommodating chronic injury is poor, and I wouldn't expect it to be greatly different for a chronic medical condition.

vickster

Legendary Member
The injuries were numb penis, knee pain, and tingling of the hands. Solved by buying a better seat, adjusting my bike fit and adjusting my bike fit. Seeing a physio may be helpful but kinda in the same boat as the pro bike fit.
Not sure I follow your last sentence.
You said you have arthritis in the knee hence getting a physio bike fit not a shop.
They won’t try to sell you anything either but will set the bike up considering your anatomy and knee damage (is it knee cap or long bones)?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You need someone with a lot of cycling experience, preferably a coaching qualification, and a sympathetic ear.

Rather like our senior club coach, Didier, in fact. He knows when to refer someone to a physio, and when someone just looks 'right' on a bike.

boydj

Legendary Member
My club organised a bike-fitting session for the members at a substantial discount, so I had one. I think my saddle went back and up a couple of mm , apart from that, nothing. I had speedplay pedals which have quite a lot of play, so my cleats were fine. After a couple of weeks I moved my saddle back down a couple of mm. I think if you start off with a reasonable setup, using heel on the pedal method and tweaking it through experience, you'll not be far out and £100 better off.

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

Not sure I follow your last sentence.
You said you have arthritis in the knee hence getting a physio bike fit not a shop.
They won’t try to sell you anything either but will set the bike up considering your anatomy and knee damage (is it knee cap or long bones)?
I referring to my riding position that had my seat too far back and too low which caused a pulling on the tendon in the front of the knee. Solved the problem. As for my arthritis it really is only a problem with high impact exercise as there isn't cartilage in the area between the kneecap and joint. One might think that cycling might be a problem but it really isn't. In fact cycling has strengthened my surrounding muscles and have increased my mobility.

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

I think if you start off with a reasonable setup, using heel on the pedal method and tweaking it through experience, you'll not be far out and £100 better off.
I'm right there with you on that. Understanding basic bike fit is the key in my humble opinion.

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

Update

I talked with the bike fitter and he seems genuinely experienced and focused on proper technique and fitting the bike to me. Avoiding injury. I'm keeping the appointment as I believe it will provide some benefit.

Durango Bay

I had a niggly knee pain a few years ago that got to the point that I stopped cycling. I was in two minds whether to go to physio or get a bike fit first but couldn't get a physio appointment for a while so I opted for the bike fit. After he moved a few things around by about a millimetre he then put my saddle down quite a bit but I cycled home and never had the knee pain again. I know that this is one of 'those' stories but it certainly was highly beneficial for me.

Top Bottom