Getting a year off work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
On my recent tour of the north of Scotland i met a Belgian guy who had been on the road for 9 months..His trip had taken through Italy Portugal Spain and France.He had just cycled up from Portsmouth to Durness where i met him..He told me he is a teacher and that in Belguim the govt give you a sabbatical and you get 400 Euros a month and your job is there for you when you return and that you can have 6 sabbatical years off during your working life..he said his budget was £100 a week..What a great idea...why can we not have a scheme like that in this country?...a great idea i think...what do you guys think?

400bhp

Guru
On my recent tour of the north of Scotland i met a Belgian guy who had been on the road for 9 months..His trip had taken through Italy Portugal Spain and France.He had just cycled up from Portsmouth to Durness where i met him..He told me he is a teacher and that in Belguim the govt give you a sabbatical and you get 400 Euros a month and your job is there for you when you return and that you can have 6 sabbatical years off during your working life..he said his budget was £100 a week..What a great idea...why can we not have a scheme like that in this country?...a great idea i think...what do you guys think?

EUROZONE

Nuff said

Fifelad

Veteran
EUROZONE

Nuff said
Ditto, good luck to the guy but no wonder countries economies are a mess! As far as I am aware the last I heard Belgium still had not had a government in place for the last 9 months or so and they have about 7 regional governments for a country with about 10 million people.

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Veteran
Ditto, good luck to the guy but no wonder countries economies are a mess! As far as I am aware the last I heard Belgium still had not had a government in place for the last 9 months or so and they have about 7 regional governments for a country with about 10 million people.

no surprise that he buggered off then :smile:

RoyPSB

Über Member
We have something similar. You don't actually have a job at all, you're given a house and can produce loads of kids. Most people who take-up this option spend the money on fags, booze and fast food, rather than something as civilized, healthy and mind broadening as this.

Sounds like a very enlightened idea and nothing like being out of work like some of the uninformed have suggested pity it wont ever see the light of day at least in this country.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I think the Post Office have a scheme where you can take a long unpaid break from the job.

I reckon if I had a long break from work i'd become more economically active. I'd get someone to fix my fence for a start. And I'd have time to get to the bike shop, damn them for closing on Sundays.

I think the Post Office have a scheme where you can take a long unpaid break from the job.

Yes Royal Mail will let you take a sabbatical, it is unpaid and upon your return, whilst you will get your old position back, it isn't forced to be in the same location.

AFAIK we can also claim a holiday of a lifetime every so often and take all our annual leave in one lump (upto 6 weeks depending on service or bought)

Or a maximum of 14 weeks if you can get your colleagues to agree to no holidays during the same period and your office is on a rota that allows for 14 weeks paid leave in a year.

Top Bottom