Getting fit by trail biking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonagorn

Hello, I want to start exercising by trail biking and I have a couple questions. I've cycled rather a lot in the past, but not within the last 6 months. I have a trail set out, and I'm wondering whether or not if it's suitable for getting fit. If you'd go to this site to see the route, http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_3666023.html.

Now, the trail is tarmac up to the start of the reservoir but then gradually gets worse as it climbs up to work the route ends. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/previ...90!4f75!2m5!1e2!2m3!1s36235173!2e1!7e10&fid=6 - a picture of the trail but it's not as bad as what's behind it. Basically, I'm wondering if by doing this route 3 - 4 times a week, will I see a change in my fitness in about 2 months?

VamP

Banned
Time riding and the effort invested will determine the training impact, not the route. To improve your fitness in any meaningful way you should be looking at spending 1.5 to 2 hours per week at or close to your lactic threshold. That correlates to roughly the effort that you can put out (absolutely maximaly put out) at a sustained level for say 20 minutes continuously. The rest of your riding time can be at significantly lower effort, but you should aim to ride at least four days, better still five per week.

Your route looks nice though :thumbsup:

If you have been doing nothing for 6 months, then almost anything you do on the bike now will improve your fitness. As ever though, 'getting fit' is a pretty imprecise term, so without knowing what you are actually trying to achieve, it's difficult to say whether it will get you 'fit' or not.

lukesdad

If I'm not mistaken, thats the top of the taff trail and the start of the gap route ? Quite an elevation, and an undertaking to do 3-4 times a week.

OP
OP
J

Jonagorn

That's right lukesdad, my friend and myself went on a nice journey on this route, we then went to Brecon, followed the River Usk to Talybont-on-Usk and back home. Basically I'm mainly trying to lose weight and improve my cardio.

lukesdad

That's right lukesdad, my friend and myself went on a nice journey on this route, we then went to Brecon, followed the River Usk to Talybont-on-Usk and back home. Basically I'm mainly trying to lose weight and improve my cardio.
Its a fine route indeed the descent off the beacons is worth the climb. ive done the route many times. Did you take the tramway from talybont up past the reservoir or the road ?

lukesdad

Just go ride your bike often and don't overthink this. Eat a little less also.
Hang on what is he over thinking ? He has a route on his doorstep that most on here would die for, and he wants to know how to make the best use of it !

Last edited:
Top Bottom