Getting flashed from oncoming cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I was thinking more a lawyer using those against a cyclist in an 'accident'.
Would they really be that low down?

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Last night I tried a new setup, T6 on low and pointing ahead, and my EL340 directed at the gap on the road between the spot and spray of the T6.
It has worked and I didnt get any flashes at all. And I always remembered to turn down the T6 when on unlit cycle paths approaching peds.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
My strategy is this:

FRIKKIN LASER BEAMS OV DETH

...and I still got some fool telling me I needed hiviz because he couldn't see me behind my rear light. This being a cyclist who overtook me in his car, and without a hint of ironic self-awareness.

More realistically, this is what a motorcyclist thought on Weds:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Another point of topic (doesnt make sense that does it?) is what about unlit shared use paths?

On my commute home on Tuesdays at 8pm, it will be dark and the majority of my route is along an unlit coastal path which is shared use (NCR5). So, when approaching peds walking dogs, should I turn down my light? When approaching a cyclist, I will turn it down but sometimes peds just pop out of anywhere.
I've never owned a dog so maybe someone else can elaborate, but in the last year of using a magicshine ive noticed it does seem to have a tendency to panic some dogs and make them go a little crazy. :crazy: Definitely worth pointing the light down and reducing power on shared paths as much as you can when there are people in front.

Not that it makes any difference but I think the actual Cree T6 LED emitters are only rated to about 800 lumens btw (still ridiculously bright of course), but these "chinese lumen" overestimates are getting a bit silly and make shopping for lights complicated.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Not that it makes any difference but I think the actual Cree T6 LED emitters are only rated to about 800 lumens btw (still ridiculously bright of course), but these "chinese lumen" overestimates are getting a bit silly and make shopping for lights complicated.
Well I am happy with my purchase. This is the brightest light I have ever ownned, so in comparison, it is adequate for my needs.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Well I am happy with my purchase. This is the brightest light I have ever ownned, so in comparison, it is adequate for my needs.
Im just commenting on their advertising mate, like i said it makes no difference to their performance, T6 lights are great and I use them myself :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm very much a member of the
FRIKKIN LASER BEAMS OV DETH
school of thought.

Two Cree XM-L6 Torches and a pair of AyUps.

Despite my dazzle and be damned mentality, no one has ever flashed me, and the most noticeable difference with this set up at night is that cars coming the other way come over all loving and considerate and actually dip their headlights rather than driving past me on main beam.

Top Bottom