Getting flashed from oncoming cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
Which is why I no longer use a front flashing light: drivers quickly identify you as a cyclist and some of them adopt the SMIDGAF technique, or simply assume you're going a sedate 5mph and pull out when it isn't safe.

I prefer a strong fixed light (B&M IQ Cyo) that makes me look like a small motorcycle until I'm safely passing the would-be smidgaffer. Keep 'em guessing I say.

GC

I agree. I have flashing lights on the rear (as well as my solid high power light) as I want motorists to know I'm a cyclist from behind. On the front I have a fixed light that really does look like that of a moped.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
imagesCAYXU5U8.jpg

:tongue:

GrasB

Veteran
Problem with flashing lights is that at reasonable distances they're hard to judge how far you are away &, in some ways more crucially, how fast you're going. The result is that a driver makes a judgement coming up to a corner, gets it wrong & is presented with you much earlier than expected. Now if you were to run 2 lights one solid & one flashing, then you've got the attention grabber & provide other road users with a key to make a judgment to your exact speed & position.

Molecule Man

As a result of some of the comments on this thread, I am going to go back and have a proper look at how my nice, new, super-bright lights look from in front, and whether I need to adjust the angle. I don't think it has been a problem, but it's worth checking.

I have managed to resist the temptation to act on this,because I know it's stupid to dazzle someone in charge of a machine that could kill me if they lost control. However, there is a certain sense of revenge in acquiring a high powered light that might dazzle oncoming motrists, after years of being ignored by car drivers who come at you with their headlights on full beam. Several times I've had to pull over because I just can't see the road.

Molecule Man

Has anyone else with a high powered light noticed how many moths are drawn to it?
Maybe I should try to set up a moth trap on my handlebars, and do a little ecological sample of my route home.

Crankarm

Guru
A new thing happening recently I have found is that cars seem to be flashing me when I have got my light on high beam. It is a Cree T6 and quotes 1800 lumens.
Yesterday when I was out, I stopped on a secluded pathway and had a good look at my front light from the distance drivers would see it. And yes, it is very bright.I then went the rest of the journey turning down my light when a car was coming.

Should I have to turn down my light and what is the law on cyclists dazzling other drivers? I know the highway code states that motorists need to turn down their lights when approaching a cyclist, but it is vice versa?

Matthew what is the make and model of your retina melting death light?

Crankarm

Guru
Is it legal to have just one light on the front of the bike and it is on flash mode?

Keep up. This was covered very recently. Search is your friend.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/flashing-front-bike-lights.111087/page-3

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Another point of topic (doesnt make sense that does it?) is what about unlit shared use paths?

On my commute home on Tuesdays at 8pm, it will be dark and the majority of my route is along an unlit coastal path which is shared use (NCR5). So, when approaching peds walking dogs, should I turn down my light? When approaching a cyclist, I will turn it down but sometimes peds just pop out of anywhere.

Top Bottom