Getting flashed from oncoming cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Reactions: gaz

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Turn the light down or cover it when approaching peds. If you don't we may be reading in the local press about a UFO on the NCN5 that causes folk to fall in the sea.

;)
Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Crankarm

Guru
Another point of topic (doesnt make sense that does it?) is what about unlit shared use paths?

On my commute home on Tuesdays at 8pm, it will be dark and the majority of my route is along an unlit coastal path which is shared use (NCR5). So, when approaching peds walking dogs, should I turn down my light? When approaching a cyclist, I will turn it down but sometimes peds just pop out of anywhere.

Are you serious? Do you not have any consideration for others who might well be dazzled by your bright lights as you approach them such peds, dog walkers or indeed other cyclists? Turn it down and point it down toward the path in front of you.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
T'was a simple question.

Your light looks like a Magic Shine lookalike. I doubt whether it actually gives out 1800 Lumens. If it was say a Lupine, Hope 4 or Exposure Max D light then yes I would believe the Lumens claim, but not for a £35 light sold on Ebay. Sorry.
I have one of these bought from HK, its nowhere 1800 lumens, mine claimed to be 1200 lumens, which it certainly isnt! Battery is rubbish, falls to bits and got replaced this year. For the money its cracking even if you get a year out of it, still better than crashing out £300 on an exposure!!

its bright and you defo have to angle it down, the strobe is ok but only if you point it down other wise you could cause someone to have a fit :tongue:

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
A lot of motorcyclists seem to be keen on dazzling other road-users with their high beams. It is irritating.

Drago

Legendary Member
A friend of mine recently picked up one of the 1600 lumens jobs from Hongkers, just under £30.

Apart from dodgy stiching on the battery pouch, it's very well constructed. It's awesomely bright, much brighter than my own Lezyne I picked up in France that was advertised at 1500 Lumenenenens. He says the battery life is superb, lasting him 5 days of 2 x 40mins a day night time commuting.

The finish is decent (apart from the pouch, but he's shoved the batteries in a bottle with his toolkit so its in the bottle cage), very bring, has a very good bem with gppd peripheral lighting, has a very respectable battery life, and was cheap as chips. What's not to like?

I have seen far Eastern ones that are pap, but this is genuinely worthwhile. If anyone is interested I cvan find out which one it was.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

Well I find that on unlit roads the normal dipped headlamps of most modern cars ruin my night vision. So my light will be staying where I need it to, on the power level I require. I do, however, cover it with my hand when passing other cyclists at close range.

wmtlynx

angle your lights down.....

I have one of these lights too, and angling it down helps to see further ahead when you're going downhill at speed, aswell as not blinding other road users. Main beam on the T6 is only really needed on completely unlit roads. The 2nd and 3rd lower settings on mine are adequate on pretty much everything else.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well I spoke too soon mine is now deceased, was hopeful of repairing the head unit but its rattled itself too bits more or less. Just bought a new battery as well last week for it :sad:. So conundrum time do I buy another, a new head unit or maybe see about different one?? Could maybe just buy the driver board and replace??

Anyway bottom line they give it uber amounts of light but build quality is sheet. Treat as use for winter then be prepared to throw away :laugh:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Well I find that on unlit roads the normal dipped headlamps of most modern cars ruin my night vision. So my light will be staying where I need it to, on the power level I require. I do, however, cover it with my hand when passing other cyclists at close range.
This is fine as long as by leaving it where you need it you're not dazzling anybody unnecessarily.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Something that has just occurred to me that at first sounds obvious is not to look directly at lights that are dazzling. When I used to drive a lot I remember that despite the dazzle my eyes would be drawn right to the lights and I would have to concentrate on looking away from them. This might mean looking further to the left than normal or even taking my eyes away from the road for a split second which might sound stupid but it was only for the split second when the light would have been most dazzling and it would prevent a lot of the coloured blobby after images caused by the bright light.
To sumarise: stay away from the light Carol Anne.

Top Bottom