Getting old!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I'm hitting 42 this year.
A couple weeks ago Pam and I were having a day out to............Bury Market! Yeah! How bad are we eh?
During our perusing, I saw a mobility scooter that had a Rolls Royce bonnet and chrome wheels. I told Pam I was having that later in life. Damn right I'm rolling out in a Rolls! :smile:

There's one around here with long chopper style forks and a chrome headlight with his colours painted on the back of the seat.

Venod

Eh up
I go to a Turkish barbers to get my hair cut but they get two large cotton buds and dip them in hot wax then stick them up my nostrils and dry with a hair drier .
After a minute they yank them out to an eye watering scream but no more nasal hair till next visit .

I don't get the nostril treatment but they do set fire to large cotton buds and bash them against your ears repeatedly very quickly to burn out the hairs.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Three truths about turning 40.

1. You suddenly start growing an alarming amount of nasal hair
2. Your hangovers last all weekend
3. I forgot the third one

I’m closing on 50 now so no doubt a few more pleasures in store...
number two is wrong i got more hang overs when i was younger, i still love a good sesion in the pub, i think i could now drink my younger me under the table. have regularly ridden a 100 miles after a night on the p****. But i am only 66,:okay:
ps( unquote) How can you be old at 40?

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
You're as old as the person you feel :laugh:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I just turned 54. Last night, flipping around telly, I came across an episode of Are You Being Served that had the cast all sat around a table. I recall watching it as a kid, must-see on Saturday nights. It made me feel old when I thought that all of them on screen are now dead.....:sad:.

gbb

Legendary Member
Reading these posts makes me more determined...i shouldn' feel like I do.
Just turned 60 and tbh, I feel like an old man sometimes, I creak and groan and ache terribly.
I was diagnosed (without proper tests from my doc) with osteo arthritis and in the morning on waking up, I can scarcely bend over, everything from the waste down damned stiff and painfull. That eases but after an 8 hour shift...i ache in my hips and legs and feet...ache something terrible. Life without a hot bath in the evening would be unbearable.
One ibrufen at bedtime helps but I'm fighting against taking more. I always had a bad back and was prone to muscular rheumatism but this has reached another level this last year.
Been to the docs twice, I do try some stretching exercises but do feel like the docs have made a quick judgement and 'go home and take some tablets'
On the plus side, despite serious health problems 5 years or so ago, I am getting some fitness back but the constant aches are making it harder than it need be.
Docs on Tuesday, I'm going to push it this time.

Just turned 60 and tbh, I feel like an old man sometimes, I creak and groan and ache terribly.
I was diagnosed (without proper tests from my doc) with osteo arthritis and in the morning on waking up, I can scarcely bend over, everything from the waste down damned stiff and painfull. That eases but after an 8 hour shift...i ache in my hips and legs and feet...ache something terrible. Life without a hot bath in the evening would be unbearable.
One ibrufen at bedtime helps but I'm fighting against taking more. I always had a bad back and was prone to muscular rheumatism but this has reached another level this last year.
Been to the docs twice, I do try some stretching exercises but do feel like the docs have made a quick judgement and 'go home and take some tablets'
I can sympathise with you, I'm in the same situation.
I initially followed the doctors advice and took the maximum dose of painkillers but the side effects were as bad as the pain so I stopped taking them. I only take them now either before or after I do anything challenging.
Getting my head round what it's doing to me is what I struggle with because it has stopped me doing a lot of things that were important to me. If you come up with any magic answers let me know.:thumbsup:

Biker Joe

Über Member
On the plus side, despite serious health problems 5 years or so ago, I am getting some fitness back but the constant aches are making it harder than it need be.
Docs on Tuesday, I'm going to push it this time.
You have my full sympathy. It can get quite debilitating. I don't know your lifestyle or if you're a bit overweight or not but there are some things you can try out that may improve your situation. Firstly, check out your diet. Reduce your carb. intake. Cut down on sugar and salt. Eat a protein rich diet, plenty of oily fish lean meat. Make sure you cut the fat away from fatty meats. Plenty of vegetables and fresh fruit. This may sound like a weight watcher's diet and, if you are over weight , it will help. But generally we are looking at a healthy eating regime here. Using calcium rich foods such as cheese and milk will help with osteo arthritic conditions. Oily fish also contains Omega 3 which is good for osteo arthritic conditions.
Look on the internet for floor exercises for back and hip pain and gently start these.
Iboprufen will treat inflamation but not the cause of your pain. I would suggest 400mg three times a day to start with. It will also help relieve the pain.
These are just suggestions. You can take it or leave it.
Standing for long periods can put a lot of pressure on the spinal column and the disks become compressed and distorted and cause inflammation. If you can, try altering your position whilst standing and not stay in a fixed position for long.
I hope this has been of some help. Don't expect a quick fix. These things take time. But I believe you should see some improvement.
At any rate it will do you no harm and are natural things to do.
I wish you all the best.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I think there's a lot to be said to the saying "you are as old as you feel". But let's come at this from another angle: as you do get older, dressing like a 20 year old for a night out on the town isn't appropriate! Or trying to hang around other 20 year olds for primary socialization also isn't appropriate (well, unless you've not matured socially)....

I think you should embrace your age, but not let preconceptions of an age limit you, and be confident and know that within yourself. Keeping active is such simple but beautiful advice. Anyway, not in any particular order, here a random list of age indicators for me:
  • you eat half as much and gain twice as much weight as you did as an 18 year old.
  • you remember when someone was born when they are now a fully grown and functional adult. Or you find yourself watching on tv the son of an athlete whose father you remember was 18 when you watched them.
  • "it were all fields it were" ('nuff said)
  • you find yourself balking at certain price numbers. "I wouldn't pay more than [insert arbitrary figure here] for that". Then you realize accounting for inflation it's a great deal and it's just a number stuck in your head from decades ago.
  • you find you have a tendency to hold onto a way or device that does something in a familiar way rather than getting the latest and greatest*
  • you have a desire to say to someone younger "you don't know the day you were born"
  • you are finding many of the people you saw on tv in your younger days no longer are living or you do actually remember black and white tv
  • you remember and lived in a BI age (Before Interwebs)
*now personally I do have a bit of a problem with that one. While I do realize as you get older there is a tendency to keep with the familiar, I do try to consider the pro and cons.... and sometimes there are no logical reasons to change something aside from the fact marketing folks push them and it's the latest and greatest, or even sometimes newer things are functionally poorer. For me to change something, it has to be better functionally to convince me. Yes, I prefer tactile heater blower buttons on a car rather than a touch screen as it means I don't have to take my eyes off the road. Or am I sounding old?

Top Bottom