Getting the bike serviced....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrPorridge

On a related note, has anybody got any experience of any bike maintenance courses?
BikeRight! seem to be the provider in my region (the North West) although their website is infuriating as it's many courses seem to contain no options for dates (possibly they've stopped doing them) and there's not much information about cost.

I'd quite fancy learning the (very) basics like puncture repair, brake adjustment but maybe a course is overkill for this stuff when there's YouTube?

As an example of my needs, my front derailleur wont shift from the middle to big chainring again (it takes about 10 tries to work). There seem to be plenty of suggestions online and in print but, being a useless sort, I'm a bit bothered about making things worse with ham-fisted adjustments.

Milzy

Guru
I dropped of my bike this morning for a service and was astonished to see three other people turn up with their machines for exactly the same thing as me. Being a novice to all this a few things occurred to me:

I’m probably at the right place

It’s nice to see a small business doing well (JJ’s Ferrybridge)

These cyclists really do look after their kit

I will be interested if I can tell any difference to the ride when I get it back assuming the rain stops. It’s four years old with very, very light use but I did detect a slight creak when getting on the peddles going up hill.
It’s never had a service but probably has covered less than 200 miles since new.

I’m tempted by a Garmin 820 too —
It’s good to see ex British road champion John Tanner at his shop. They are constantly stacked out all year around.

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

On a related note, has anybody got any experience of any bike maintenance courses?
BikeRight! seem to be the provider in my region (the North West) although their website is infuriating as it's many courses seem to contain no options for dates (possibly they've stopped doing them) and there's not much information about cost.

I'd quite fancy learning the (very) basics like puncture repair, brake adjustment but maybe a course is overkill for this stuff when there's YouTube?

As an example of my needs, my front derailleur wont shift from the middle to big chainring again (it takes about 10 tries to work). There seem to be plenty of suggestions online and in print but, being a useless sort, I'm a bit bothered about making things worse with ham-fisted adjustments.

Well Mr P, I'm from the same mould as you - whatever I seem to touch I do seem to make worse. In Youtubes's defence I would say there are a couple of jobs I have tackled (non bike related) that I have mastered. That's an achievement in itself when your toolkit comprises of a hammer, oil rag and a shoehorn - not joking btw

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

I’m just about to take two bikes into my local mechanic for probably simple jobs but I am one of those people who always makes any problem worse no matter how many videos I watch.

So don’t feel bad about taking your bikes into your Lbs for TLC.

You are my hero!!
I could tell when I wheeled the bike to the back of the car after its service it felt different. I took it out yesterday and indeed it did feel different but in a good way. It's just me that needs the tlc now - 23 miles and I was shattered when I got home but in a good way.

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

JJ's does have a good reputation. A few wessies who ride with the local club rate them highly, so hopefully you will receive good service :okay:
Not sure you'll notice a massive difference though, gears might change a bit smoother & chain run more freely if it's been a little neglected, but having covered <200 miles it shouldn't be in too bad condition to start with.

My nearest 'LBS' is about 15 miles away, so I've learned to do many things myself, but occasionally I'm not brave enough to tackle a job (recently it was servicing a hub dynamo) or I don't have the correct tools & it's cheaper to pay the LBS. There's plenty of advice & helpful folk on here for covering general servicing stuff & videos galore on youtube :smile:

Wessies? Ah, the good people of West Yorkshire!

It did feel better tbh and I felt it was money well spent but I'm sure there will be many (wessies and beyond) who feel it is an extravagance but I'm happy and the guys at JJ's seem to be doing very well indeed.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Wessies? Ah, the good people of West Yorkshire!

It did feel better tbh and I felt it was money well spent but I'm sure there will be many (wessies and beyond) who feel it is an extravagance but I'm happy and the guys at JJ's seem to be doing very well indeed.

I'm a Wessie myself :okay: Think the locals class anyone who's from west of Beverley as a Wessie :laugh:
Hope you get many happy miles on the bike now mate :okay:

I think for the beginners to cycling, learning to maintain and do repairs to your cycle should be essential if you intend to cycle any distance from home. It always seem to be the simple things to fix that frustrates the beginner, gears going out of index, chains skipping, puntures cranks coming loose. all simple to fix once you know how. Last year I was riding out on the back roads around my town, I come acrosss this guy pushing his cycle not only did he have a punture his chain was was hanging over his handle bars. Interestly he had no tools or punture repair kit. The chain had broken because he had not learnt to use his gears on a hill. Being a nice chap, I repaired his punture then fixed his chain. Having told him what he need to buy tool wise be went on his mery way. I guess he learnt a lesson that you donthave many AA or Green flag for cyclists. Another day up on the South Downs Way I come across a group of people pushing their bikes, one member of the group had lost the screw that held his crank arm in place, having had the same problem myself in the past I had a spare screw. another good deed down. The also had no no tools between them.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
All you people who go running to the LBS for every little thing, who fixed your bike when you were a kid and you busted something on it, got a flat tyre, or something like the brakes weren't adjusted right?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
All you people who go running to the LBS for every little thing, who fixed your bike when you were a kid and you busted something on it, got a flat tyre, or something like the brakes weren't adjusted right?

To answer your question my grandad.

As for “running to the LBS” I have to say I think that’s a rather unpleasant turn of phrase. Not everyone is mechanically minded or able to effectively maintain a bike. I include myself in this and see no reason why I shouldn’t consult a technically competent mechanic to help with something outside my ability.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think for the beginners to cycling, learning to maintain and do repairs to your cycle should be essential if you intend to cycle any distance from home. It always seem to be the simple things to fix that frustrates the beginner, gears going out of index, chains skipping, puntures cranks coming loose. all simple to fix once you know how. Last year I was riding out on the back roads around my town, I come acrosss this guy pushing his cycle not only did he have a punture his chain was was hanging over his handle bars. Interestly he had no tools or punture repair kit. The chain had broken because he had not learnt to use his gears on a hill. Being a nice chap, I repaired his punture then fixed his chain. Having told him what he need to buy tool wise be went on his mery way. I guess he learnt a lesson that you donthave many AA or Green flag for cyclists. Another day up on the South Downs Way I come across a group of people pushing their bikes, one member of the group had lost the screw that held his crank arm in place, having had the same problem myself in the past I had a spare screw. another good deed down. The also had no no tools between them.

I understand what you’re saying but a properly maintained bike shouldn’t suffer catastrophic failure. I always use my LBS, the same one, and I’ve suffered one failure in 30 years - a bottom bracket failed. Punctures obviously but nothing else.

I’ve ridden all over the UK and toured in France, all without incident.

On club rides, tens of thousands of miles, the only failures I’ve seen are a smashed rear mech and three crank arms which sheared off.

While I appreciate why many people like to maintain their own bikes and to carry a tool kit for emergencies I feel what the beginner needs to understand is the importance of regular, competent maintenance. Whether this is at an LBS or in the garage is irrelevant.

Top Bottom