Getting the bike serviced....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
All you people who go running to the LBS for every little thing, who fixed your bike when you were a kid and you busted something on it, got a flat tyre, or something like the brakes weren't adjusted right?

No-one, it was a source of great sadness that I had to stop riding my bike partly out of neglect.

If you don't want to spend as much for an 810, try the 520. I can't fault it.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If anyone wants a basic bike maintenance course, Evans Cycles and Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative both run regular courses in their stores for a small fee - EBC also do more advanced ones.

The Evans course is an hour and you're shown what to do on a demo bike:
https://www.evanscycles.com/help/servicing/bike-maintenance-classes

The EBC course is a half day and you do the work on your own bike
https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/fo...nance-class-call-0345-257-0808-for-dates.html

I'm no expert and prefer to let the shop do the servicing, but it's well worth covering off the basics so you don't end up stranded - I stopped to help a chap once who couldn't figure out how to get his QR front wheel off to fix a puncture. I hadn't stopped he was about to phone the rescue car from home, 20 miles away.

al3xsh

Über Member
I did the Edinburgh Bike Coop full day maintenance course and it was pretty good. Have forgotten any of the advanced stuff though :-)

I'm fairly mechanically inept. I'll do fixing punctures / fitting tyres, gear indexing (though never get it 100% perfect), change disc brake pads, change a chain - and that's about it. Anything more complicated or time consuming it goes to the bike shop. About to take it in for new cables soon!

As an aside - does anyone have any tips for getting disc brake pistons back in when changing pads? Did this yesterday and they're really awkward to push back in!

A

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
All you people who go running to the LBS for every little thing, who fixed your bike when you were a kid and you busted something on it, got a flat tyre, or something like the brakes weren't adjusted right?

My dad :smile:
Over time I learned to fix things myself. Didn't fit a headset till last year despite 35 years prior cycling.
I'm of the mindset that any cyclist or cycling person should at least be able to fix a flat tyre...but some people just aren't mechanically minded, just as some aren't computer literate or cook like chiefs.
I once burnt cereal. No I'm not kidding. :smile:

Edit: it's probably worth noting that the op posted this thread in the Beginners section of the forum...:whistle:

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
For anyone technically incompetent, like me, or just like a bit of security, like me, try the "AA for cyclists." Cycle recovery service for £15 pa will get you recovered anywhere on the mainland..

https://www.lexhaminsurance.co.uk/products/cycle-recovery/

I've had the cover for a few years. Never used it but I know two people who have.

I had a look at that out of curiousity, - the website doesn't actually seem to explain what the service actually is (unless I'm not looking properly). I previously read of one which would only recover you 3 miles or something equally daft - it was pushing distance at any rate. I'm only curious as I have no need for such a product myself

Top Bottom