Getting tired of the effort it takes to save money......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Are you sure? After all it is classed as bicycle there is no separate class for ebike. Sometimes when dealing with insurance reps you need ask them to go further up the line of command. Or even ring more than once to speak with different advisers. Just thought see what there terms and conditions say. The latter might be best bet.
- I looked at the terms and conditions:
"We will not cover • the excess(es) shown on your schedule; • loss or damage to tyres or accessories unless the pedal cycle is stolen or damaged at the same time; • theft unless the cycle is: a. in your immediate custody and control; b. securely locked to an object that cannot be moved; or c. in a locked building • any pedal cycle with a motor; • loss or damage caused by wear and tear, light, weather conditions, damp, rust, wet rot or dry rot or anything that happens gradually; • loss or damage caused by the process of cleaning, washing, repairing or restoring"
- that's why I asked :okay:

mustang1

Guru
Indeed. The algorithms they use are very clever. The insurance industries perception of "risk" is far from always a measure of that which genuinely presents a significant risk, but in large part includes a calculation as to how affluent they believe the customer to be, and thus how much they can make them pay.

I discovered this first hand. 7 years ago I moved almost exactly 1 mile, from an already nice street to a more affluent area. Unsurprisingly, my car insurance went up about 20%. Being a copper at the time I was able to check both the crime and RTC data for both areas, and lo and behold - the new area had lower recorded crime, and lower rates of reported RTC's. Indeed, the only thing that had gone up in my new area was the average salaries.

I rang my insurers and presented them with this information. After lots of "oh" and "ah"ing they returned my premium to its previous figure. The local radio even ran a brief piece about it, although ultimately the insurer kept publicly schtum.

So there you go, good evidence that a significant part of their calculations is the customers ability to support a particular price. Actual empirical demonstrable "risk" can be a very minor element in their calculations.

Exactly this. It makes me cringe when I phone up to buy something, be it insurance or double glazing or whatever, and the first thing they ask is.my postcode so they can guage how much they can fleece me.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My wife car insurance is due October 6th . Got renewal notice from Halifax for £254 , £30 more than last year. Went on line to Meerkats and found same cover for £184 with Lloyds so guess where she is going to go?

Skanker

This is the reason I ride a bike and live on a boat.
£95 a year insurance for my boat, £410 for river license, no rent, free water from taps placed along riverside and at locks, free energy from solar, free cooking and heat from log stove and free logs left laying around thanks to river maintenance crews.
I get to work part time only and still get to buy all my toys.
Sorry for rubbing it in, honest!

JPBoothy

Veteran
This is the reason I ride a bike and live on a boat.
£95 a year insurance for my boat, £410 for river license, no rent, free water from taps placed along riverside and at locks, free energy from solar, free cooking and heat from log stove and free logs left laying around thanks to river maintenance crews.
I get to work part time only and still get to buy all my toys.
Sorry for rubbing it in, honest!
And good luck to you my friend, it sounds like a nice slice of freedom you have going there :thumbsup:

JPBoothy

Veteran
The nice slice of freedom came years ago, divorce they call it, lol
Ha Ha, lets hope she doesn't find out where you moor your boat at night!

Smudge

Veteran
I lived in my motorhome for a few years around 15 years ago. It was quite an interesting experience and met a lot of people that did this. They call themselves full timers.
Most of the time i was on a caravan site, on a week by week full timer basis. It was a real cheap way to live at only £50 a week including hook up, no council tax or tv licence, plus there was showers and a launderette on site. Plus when i wanted to bugger off touring in my van i obviously wasn't paying any rent.

Skanker

I lived in my motorhome for a few years around 15 years ago. It was quite an interesting experience and met a lot of people that did this. They call themselves full timers.
Most of the time i was on a caravan site, on a week by week full timer basis. It was a real cheap way to live at only £50 a week including hook up, no council tax or tv licence, plus there was showers and a launderette on site. Plus when i wanted to bugger off touring in my van i obviously wasn't paying any rent.
Now you can add data only SIM card routers so you can have a computer and Wi-fi too!

JPBoothy

Veteran
Another good reason for living on a boat, I can move home as easily as moving a car!
On a serious note though..

Do you have to be selective when choosing a spot to spend a night given that we now seem to be living in a time when people seem to be more aggressive and not afraid of breaking the law? I remember spending several happy holidays cruising the Thames on Hoseasons boats when I was a child but, I'm not sure if I would still be as comfortable to just stop alongside a nice park as we did back then.

Skanker

On a serious note though..

Do you have to be selective when choosing a spot to spend a night given that we now seem to be living in a time when people seem to be more aggressive and not afraid of breaking the law? I remember spending several happy holidays cruising the Thames on Hoseasons boats when I was a child but, I'm not sure if I would still be as comfortable to just stop alongside a nice park as we did back then.
My Akita puts a stop to anyone coming near the boat, they only need to think about walking up the plank and she see’s them off.
I have cctv fitted and automatic lights to catch unwanted visitors too.
I’m from Lewisham so needed all this in my house too, so no extra security than before.

Top Bottom