Getting tired of the effort it takes to save money......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
My Akita puts a stop to anyone coming near the boat, they only need to think about walking up the plank and she see’s them off.
I have cctv fitted and automatic lights to catch unwanted visitors too.
I’m from Lewisham so needed all this in my house too, so no extra security than before.
Blimey, that ex-wife must be pretty scary if you need all of that 😂

Skanker

Blimey, that ex-wife must be pretty scary if you need all of that 😂
I can’t afford to lose half my sh*t again!

Drago

Legendary Member
It was worth every penny to get shot of the ex. Being a lot wealthier than me (a director for an electronics firm) I made a fair bit out of the divorce!

Regardless of whatever happens in the future there will be no 3rd Mrs D. I'll just sleep around a lot and remain footloose.

JPBoothy

Veteran
It was worth every penny to get shot of the ex. Being a lot wealthier than me (a director for an electronics firm) I made a fair bit out of the divorce!

Regardless of whatever happens in the future there will be no 3rd Mrs D. I'll just sleep around a lot and remain footloose.
I've heard those Spin classes are the place to be :okay:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
This is the reason I ride a bike and live on a boat.
£95 a year insurance for my boat, £410 for river license, no rent, free water from taps placed along riverside and at locks, free energy from solar, free cooking and heat from log stove and free logs left laying around thanks to river maintenance crews.
I get to work part time only and still get to buy all my toys.
Sorry for rubbing it in, honest!
- but we can't ALL live on boats can we? Was reading a 'save the planet ' article the other day about a woman who'd left her city job and now lives off grid in a straw bale house in wildest wales - that's great, but what would happen if we ALL did that? There are stretches of canal around here that have become eyesores due to the endless line of moored houseboats.

Skanker

- but we can't ALL live on boats can we? Was reading a 'save the planet ' article the other day about a woman who'd left her city job and now lives off grid in a straw bale house in wildest wales - that's great, but what would happen if we ALL did that? There are stretches of canal around here that have become eyesores due to the endless line of moored houseboats.
I still work and I constantly cruise around and move my boat. No one says you have to be lazy and loiter in the same place just because you live on a boat.

JPBoothy

Veteran
The 'off the grid' bit always appealed to me, but after you made that first internet transaction and gave away your details that is no longer a realistic option unless you bin your phone/lap-top and start keeping your money under the mattress again.

It is quite scary when you watch movies/tv programmes that show how quickly you can be tracked down by a geek with a computer :eek:

D

Deleted member 26715

I may disagree with you the day my house burns down...and they pay up!
But that is the issue, getting them to pay up, they are usually happy to take your money but put as many obstacles in your way to stop having to pay out.
Most of the time i was on a caravan site, on a week by week full timer basis. It was a real cheap way to live at only £50 a week including hook up,
As they are now charging £20+ per night for a caravan/motorhome even a 1 man tent these days is £10 a night, how can you get £50 per week.

Smudge

Veteran
But that is the issue, getting them to pay up, they are usually happy to take your money but put as many obstacles in your way to stop having to pay out.

As they are now charging £20+ per night for a caravan/motorhome even a 1 man tent these days is £10 a night, how can you get £50 per week.

It was a special rate for full timers and it was 16 years ago.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
- but we can't ALL live on boats can we? Was reading a 'save the planet ' article the other day about a woman who'd left her city job and now lives off grid in a straw bale house in wildest wales - that's great, but what would happen if we ALL did that?
We fark up the planet much more slowly? What do you think would happen?

There are stretches of canal around here that have become eyesores due to the endless line of moored houseboats.
How can boats on a canal ever be an eyesore? Do you mean that the boats are being allowed to fall derelict? People let houses fall derelict too and that causes far bigger problems.

youngoldbloke

We fark up the planet much more slowly? What do you think would happen?

How can boats on a canal ever be an eyesore? Do you mean that the boats are being allowed to fall derelict? People let houses fall derelict too and that causes far bigger problems.
It is a question of scale. There is simply not enough room for us all to move to mid Wales, or moor our converted barge at the canal-side.

youngoldbloke

Are you sure? How big is the national average house now and how big are those straw houses and boats? Stuff I've seen like that often seems smaller than many houses.
I'm not talking size but numbers. Fine for limited numbers of people to choose to live like this, but not hundreds of thousands of us.

Top Bottom