Getting used to one sided pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
This is my new bike: light, stiff and great value. Have previously ridden a cx bike with dual-sided clipless pedals (m530). These pedals are really easily to clip in to and the tread on the shoes I use enables me to "grab" the pedal and rotate it into rhe correct position just in case it has not aligned correctly. Thought I should get some "proper" road pedals for new bike so got some exustar pedals which are basically Look Keo copies but at fraction of the price. Also got shimano shoes to go with them. Anyway, took bike out for first run today and it was awesome, but have had some real problems clipping in. Not only are the pedals one sided but they alsoalsdon't don't seem to "hang" in the most convenient position, which means I have to flip them round, rather awkwardly. This in itself is an effort, as the soles of these new shoes are completely smooth, so they don't "grip" the pedal when I try to flip them. This has resulted in me wobbling erratically as I have attempted to pull away from lights etc.
Anybody else face such initial difficulties and if so, anyone got any tips for me?

Attachments

• IMG_20170413_153534.jpg
    IMG_20170413_153534.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 64

Drago

Legendary Member
That's part of the reason so many stick with Touring/MTB SPDs.

vickster

Legendary Member
I never did and went back to m520
Riding into the kerb of a chicane while looking at my foot and going flying (fortunately onto grass) was the last straw for me

Globalti

Legendary Member
Stick with them; they weigh half the weight of SPDs and give a flatter platform. They are always awkward but you will get used to flipping them round. Be clipped in with your other foot before you set off. Practice the action so you can do it without looking down.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The pedals are balanced so they offer the front to you after you unclip . Just use the front of your shoe to hit the pedal and your cleat should locate . I tend to push off with my unclipped foot so i have some speed going with the pedal i want to clip into at the top of the crank . That way as i push down to pedal the cleat will clip in .

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Stick with them; they weigh half the weight of SPDs...

Ultegra SL's = 260g.

Standard spec XT SPD = 340g

So they weigh nowhere near as little as half, yet being single sided are half the pedal.

Ditched my Ulty SLs, just because of the inconvenience of multiple pedal systems between my bikes, rather than any downer on SLs.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
stick some m530s on the dolan , job done, many on my club ride use m520s etc with no obvious disadvantage.

I use A600s on my nice bike but it tends to be on rides where i rarely unclip

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ultegra SL's = 260g.

Standard spec Sat SPD = 340g

So they weigh nowhere near as much as half, yet being single sided are half the pedal.
A600s = 286 g

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Like anything else in life, it gets easy with practice and after a couple of rides it's second nature.
As Globalti says, it's a case of just flipping the pedal forward a little with the toes and then the front of the cleat almost naturally finds its way home. GCN did quite a helpful video on it a while back, I'll see if I can find it for you.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Like anything else in life, it gets easy with practice and after a couple of rides it's second nature.
As Globalti says, it's a case of just flipping the pedal forward a little with the toes and then the front of the cleat almost naturally finds its way home. GCN did quite a helpful video on it a while back, I'll see if I can find it for you.
Here you go, this one is useful:

View: https://youtu.be/RTdHBUDgI_4

Thank you. Just watched it, GCN boys made it seem pretty seamless. Now offto practise against the chest of drawers!

On my road bike a year of flats followed by 18 months of spd-sl followed by 2 years back on flats.

Can you guess what my average speed has done during these transitions? Can you?

Top Bottom