getting worried now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

I have had my first stuff through from Manchester Uni about induction and registering, but they still haven't got back to me about my accommodation! It's only two weeks before I move to a whole new city, and I'm getting slightly worried as I am deeply ill-prepared and don't even have a place to live yet.

bonj2

They don't. My little sister's in the same position. It's always the last thing to get sorted out. Have you put a first choice and a second choice?
Ring them up and hassle them, can't do any harm.

Will1985

Über Member
Call them up - my sister sent her application form in March and duly received confirmation of receipt, and was worried when all her friends had already got their accommodation at the same uni....it took 4 or 5 calls to get them to sort it out for her.

If it was your first choice, you should have definitely received accommodation by now.

Will1985

Über Member
And a word of warning - if you have a nice bike, get some good locks (plural).
First, you probably won't be allowed to take your pride and joy into the building or your room so they make it go and live with all the muddy £50 MTBs in a supposedly "secure" shed :biggrin:
Second, I always used 2 locks on campus just to deter a thief - one through the back triangle, one through the front wheel and main triangle and the stand. Being fixed was my 3rd deterrent - anybody who tried to ride it got kicked off :ohmy:

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Will1985 said:
Call them up - my sister sent her application form in March and duly received confirmation of receipt, and was worried when all her friends had already got their accommodation at the same uni....it took 4 or 5 calls to get them to sort it out for her.

If it was your first choice, you should have definitely received accommodation by now.

I'm a post grad, so it's not the UCAS system. Having worked in a university for the last two years, I know just how incompetent they can be so I shall phone them tomorrow to enquire, as well as emailing them (I know how much uni staff check their emails - at least 100 times a day). Hopefully the news will be good, or I'll be staying with my cousin for a short time, and going house hunting.

As for bike, got a couple of good locks already, as Fran's nice and I'd like to keep her.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
papercorn2000 said:
Wow, I thought bonj was going to offer that you shack up with his sister! Now THAT'S generous!

bonjella?

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

They have been chased. They basically said (two weeks to the day before term starts): 'We don't know if you have a place yet. Why not look in the Private Sector'
I have two basic questions:
1) Why couldn't they have told me that like about a month ago?
2) Is that really the best way of treating people who are moving into a brand new city in two weeks?
So, now I am doing a rush visit to Manchester on Thursday to attempt to find a place to live, with people I don't know in a town I don't know. 14 days before I move there. Great times.

Top Bottom