Giant contend SL1 disc vs Ribble endurance sl disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Components assembly is done at the store. They must have sold the right shifter to someone else or a mate hoping for the supplies to come in as there is shortage of spares.

If you don't get relief, email Giant in Taiwan or UK Head Office . Take a snap of the bikes with the shifters showing it if they actually deliver it. Keep the email and if no response in a week send it to every cycling media outlet in the UK.

Don't touch the bike in the meantime. Giant has good rep for warranty claims so this is really odd.
How do you know? The parts surely all come in one big box, entirely possible the factory made a booboo.
If concerned, perhaps contact Giant U.K. head office in first instance

How do you know? The parts surely all come in one big box, entirely possible the factory made a booboo.
If concerned, perhaps contact Giant U.K. head office in first instance
The bike boxes come only with frame and and nothing else. Wheels comes separately as do the components. The component packing case or box for say Shimano or SRAM are different to those sold directly to consumers. The main reason is logistics and ease of movement. Head Office will release ordered stock from their country warehouse to the store that ordered it or the customer designated store for collection. The store staff then assembly it. It takes less than an hour including indexing.

It's the same with all manufacturers. For cheap low end supermarket bike products, the wheels are in it and the cables are already in. (not road bikes)

I have taken bikes disassembled in bike boxes (not bike bags or carriers) on airlines. I would ask the store for discarded boxes. I would also ask for the plastic separator for the fork ends just in case some baggage handler steps on it. They would readily provide the box because they are going to throw it away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

Twilkes

Guru
The bike boxes come only with frame and and nothing else. Wheels comes separately as do the components. The component packing case or box for say Shimano or SRAM are different to those sold directly to consumers. The main reason is logistics and ease of movement. Head Office will release ordered stock from their country warehouse to the store that ordered it or the customer designated store for collection. The store staff then assembly it. It takes less than an hour including indexing.

It's the same with all manufacturers. For cheap low end supermarket bike products, the wheels are in it and the cables are already in. (not road bikes)

I have taken bikes disassembled in bike boxes (not bike bags or carriers) on airlines. I would ask the store for discarded boxes. I would also ask for the plastic separator for the fork ends just in case some baggage handler steps on it. They would readily provide the box because they are going to throw it away.
View attachment 587267

Hang on, the store can install two derailleurs, two brake calipers, two shifters, wire it all up, wrap the bars and set it up correctly, in less than an hour? Are you sure you're not thinking of spectacles?

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

Thanks everyone for your help and advice along the way. Planning my first ride for Friday and will report back with how it goes.

Hang on, the store can install two derailleurs, two brake calipers, two shifters, wire it all up, wrap the bars and set it up correctly, in less than an hour? Are you sure you're not thinking of spectacles?
Yep, its their day job. With more people ordering online and collecting from the store, it's a template.

Twilkes

Guru
Yep, its their day job. With more people ordering online and collecting from the store, it's a template.

Fair enough, I guess it's all brand new parts, screws and threads, it's not like they have to prise all the rusty old bits off first.

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

First ride this morning.

Almost 29 miles done but stuck to cycle paths as this was my first time using drop bars and clip less pedals. Drop bars are good as it allows for different hand positions though I didn’t use the drops much as I mainly used the hoods. Felt quite natural within a few minutes of riding.

Pedals were fine after a wee practice in the car park before setting off. I just made sure I unclipped one foot well in advance which seemed to work well.

The gears will take a while of getting used to as my hybrid was a 1x. The gears were also jumping a bit but the bike shop said that’s quite normal and will be sorted when I take the bike back for it’s 6 week service.

All in all very pleased with the bike. I just need to get the dork disc off now!

T4tomo

Guru
The gears were also jumping a bit but the bike shop said that’s quite normal and will be sorted when I take the bike back for it’s 6 week service.
May just be cable tension. Look at a rear derailleur adjustment clip on you tube, ignore the setting upper and lower limit screws, but a 1/4 turn or two in the right direction on the cable tension adjuster, should sort it. if you dont have a bike stand, just pop the bike upside down, and twiddle the screw thing and watch ans listen as you turn the pedals, you want it to sit directly under the sprocket its supposed to be in, and not skip up and down to the next one.

JonT005

Regular
Phoned bike shop. Bike is finally ready however........

They said it came from the factory with a 10 speed right shifter instead of an 11 speed. Giant have told them to fit whatever they had in stock so they’ve put on an ultegra rather then 105. I’m aware that ultegra is an upgrade however will that cause any issues having ultegra on the right and 105 on the left?

I‘m also disappointed and somewhat surprised that Giant allowed the bike to leave the factory with the wrong equipment attached.
There shouldn't be an issue with compatibility. I also have full Shimano Ultegra and it's beautiful! I see your reason for disappointment, I would be a little agitated too, you could always sell the shifter online for a little cash and buy another 105 shifter.

vickster

Legendary Member
There shouldn't be an issue with compatibility. I also have full Shimano Ultegra and it's beautiful! I see your reason for disappointment, I would be a little agitated too, you could always sell the shifter online for a little cash and buy another 105 shifter.
They fitted a matching pair of Ultegra shifters in the end :okay:

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

Now over 200 miles on the new bike. Really enjoying it so far. Thanks again for all your help and advice. I have no regrets about my purchase which I suppose is all one can hope for.

Top Bottom