Giant contend SL1 disc vs Ribble endurance sl disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d want a matching pair, it probably doesn’t matter but it’s an expensive brand new bike. They should put an Ultegra left on too or get a right 105. Doesn’t it have hydraulic disc brakes, the shifters look different.
Not acceptable and I wouldn’t accept the bike like that :wacko: Refund or get it sorted ASAP

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

Yeah I’m kind of not happy about it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d take them if there’s no option to have another bike, just double check they work ok with the derailleurs. Ultimately it’s an upgrade.
after all you started this thread nearly 2 months ago!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They said they’ve put on a pair of matching ultegra shifters. What do you think I should do?
Snap their hand off, your are getting Ultegra for the price of 105. there isn't a lot between them functionally or form wise, but you are the getting the "better" product
just double check they work ok with the derailleurs
-they are compatible - all 11 speed shimano.

vickster

Legendary Member
Snap their hand off, your are getting Ultegra for the price of 105. there isn't a lot between them functionally or form wise, but you are the getting the "better" product
-they are compatible - all 11 speed shimano.
Indeed albeit non matching to other parts if ocd about such things.
105 hydraulic shifters are ugly imo, maybe Ultegra are less so

Phoned bike shop. Bike is finally ready however........

They said it came from the factory with a 10 speed right shifter instead of an 11 speed. Giant have told them to fit whatever they had in stock so they’ve put on an ultegra rather then 105. I’m aware that ultegra is an upgrade however will that cause any issues having ultegra on the right and 105 on the left?

I‘m also disappointed and somewhat surprised that Giant allowed the bike to leave the factory with the wrong equipment attached.
Components assembly is done at the store. They must have sold the right shifter to someone else or a mate hoping for the supplies to come in as there is shortage of spares.

If you don't get relief, email Giant in Taiwan or UK Head Office . Take a snap of the bikes with the shifters showing it if they actually deliver it. Keep the email and if no response in a week send it to every cycling media outlet in the UK.

Don't touch the bike in the meantime. Giant has good rep for warranty claims so this is really odd.

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

The shifters will be ultegra with the rest being 105 other than the crankset. A bit of a dugs dinner as they say in these parts!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The shifters will be ultegra with the rest being 105 other than the crankset. A bit of a dugs dinner as they say in these parts!
Not really, its all has the same look and style. I'd rather have the Ultegra shifters and 105 brake calipers and derailleurs than all 105 to be honest. the shifters are the key component in a group set, the other bits have very few differences between the levels.

1620214157768.png
1620214177075.png

Top Bottom