Giant contend SL1 disc vs Ribble endurance sl disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

I’m not hung up on frame material. I don’t think there would be much difference in the weight of both bikes though I’m sure carbon would be a smoother ride especially with wider tyres.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So are their frames as good as the established brands? Surely you get what you pay for...
PX titanium frames have an incredible reputation. I'm not sure you've been listening, with the "established" brands, you pay for their marketing and sponsorship and corporate overheads, and random £200 price increases.

DRM

Guru
Looks like it’s the Giant then as knowing my luck what you described with the PX frame would no doubt happen to me.
Some Giants have suffered from cracks on the seat tube, but having a Defy 3 Composite myself it’s a lovely bike, but not an all rounder, it won’t take mudguards or a rack, but it’s a very rapid, nice to ride bike, but an aluminium framed bike will be better specified for the same money, Planet X don’t have massive overheads, and aren’t giving loads of bikes to pro’s to race and train on like the big names are, so whilst they do sponsor a junior development team, but it’s not costing an arm and a leg like it is for Trek, Giant, Specialized etc, Planet X have a good reputation for value, as is the Spa I linked to earlier

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

A quick update re my hybrid. The free hub failed after only 6 months so I had to send the rear wheel back to the dealer in Wales a few weeks ago. Just got an update to say that Giant have admitted there is a major problem with the wheels so therefore the dealer will have to source different wheels. Meanwhile I’m stuck without a bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
doesn’t the dealer have any wheels they can at least lend you?
have you decided what drop bar bike to buy yet ;)

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

They said they are going to try and source some however stocks are extremely low. Its quite poor really as far as I’m concerned.

JonT005

Regular
Thoughts? Ribble about £200 more but carbon frame. Availability is an issue unfortunately.
I would personally always go for the carbon frame, especially for only that much more! Ribble are also great imo for value for money.

JonT005

Regular
I can sympathize, my braze-on mount cracked a little while back and I was limited to turbo riding before I could get my hands on another frame. (I live in the hills and without a front mech you are pretty much screwed)

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

A local (ish) bike shop may be willing to offer me £500 for my hybrid against the purchase of an SL1. Also like the look of the PX pro carbon at roughly the same cost. Decisions decisions!

Top Bottom