Giant contend SL1 disc vs Ribble endurance sl disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

Does anyone currently have or previously had a PX pro carbon? I’m thinking a more road focused bike would suit me better as that’s where the vast majority of my riding is done. Therefore I think I should discount the Free Ranger as that seems to be more off road focused than its predecessor the space chicken was.

vickster

Legendary Member
There are a few threads if you use the search function, nothing terribly recent though.
looks like the warranty on the frame is only 2 years vs. Lifetime on a Giant.
Only comes with 25mm tyres, may not take mudguards and you can’t fix a rack to a carbon frame.

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

https://www.tailfin.cc/blog/tailfin-product-guide/ are a bit on the pricey side and having a rack on a CF frame semi-permanently does sound a bit like making the best of a wrong choice, :-) but as something to carry shoes and a change of clothes to the office occasionally?

I love this phrase from their site The primary method for mounting our racks to the lower half of your bike is via your axle. Simply remove your existing axle and drop in a Tailfin Axle and then the other end of the rack attaches to the seat post.

Adding a small extra load to the axle doesn't sound obviously like a bad idea, but I would not be so comfortable about possible movement of the rack at the seat post if it too is CF.

Bye

Ian

vickster

Legendary Member
Being able to fit mudguards is probably more important for an only bike in Western Scotland, so see if there are options. Crud raceguards live up to the first part of their name in my experience :whistle: Raceblades may be another option but still not as good as full fixed SKS chromoplastics

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Does anyone currently have or previously had a PX pro carbon? I’m thinking a more road focused bike would suit me better as that’s where the vast majority of my riding is done. Therefore I think I should discount the Free Ranger as that seems to be more off road focused than its predecessor the space chicken was.
The PX hurricane titanium would be more suitable if you are only having one bike. It's road focused, but you could do light off road with suitable tyres, it takes upto 30mm, and has mudguard mounts for the Scottish winter.

You defo need mudguards for winter otherwise its miserable getting spray up your backside, plus it it keeps the worst of the crap off your components

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I would procrastinate for another 2 or 3 weeks, save up the extra £200 or so and as above buy one of the Titanium offerings from Planet X. They get great reviews on here and look a bargain at £1799.

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

I don’t need to have racks on the bike. I have an ass saver on my hybrid which is ok but not great. I plan to get SKS raceblades for my next bike as I like the idea of being able to put them on and take them off easily and quickly.

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

Why titanium?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Why titanium?
Carbon frames and mudguards mounts rarely go together, Titanium is a smoother ride than carbon (and Alu) more durable and only marginally heavier.

BTW sks etc mudguard are more fidly and time-consuming to mount than proper ones, and some frames, if not designed with mudguards in mind, lack the clearance to fit even sks types. Plus those type can rattle a lot.

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

I know it’s been asked before but how can PX sell these highly specked bikes at prices considerably lower than pretty much everyone else? It does make you wonder...

vickster

Legendary Member
I know it’s been asked before but how can PX sell these highly specked bikes at prices considerably lower than pretty much everyone else? It does make you wonder...
They use open mould frames from Far Eastern factories with minimal warranty, make less profit, have less infrastructure, don’t spend on R&D, don’t sponsor pro teams, don’t have a CEO and senior management team earning large salaries...sure there are others

vickster

Legendary Member
So are their frames as good as the established brands? Surely you get what you pay for...
You need to try them. The frames have short warranties. If you have an issue say with a manufacture defect crack at the seat collar (which can happen) after 2 years and a month, you’d need to buy a new frame. Giant, Trek, Specialized would replace FOC

So do you want a fair weather roadbike or a gravel bike with proper mudguards and an ability to go off road? The first will be a compromise if you want the second

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

Looks like it’s the Giant then as knowing my luck what you described with the PX frame would no doubt happen to me.

Top Bottom