Giant defy 1 for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sir adrian dangerous

Über Member
Hello all, I'm looking to turn my 2013 giant defy 1 into a light touring bike, using a tortec pannier rack, with a seat post mount, and some ortlieb back roller panniers.Is this do able or will I experience a few problems eg kicking the panniers while riding. Thanks

I'd assume it would be fine. The defy 2 is the same geometry and comes with rack mounts.

OP
OP
sir adrian dangerous

sir adrian dangerous

Über Member
Thanks a lot for the reply.My bike doesn't have mounts at the top so I will need a seat post clamp mount. I was using a ruck sack before but after a few hours it was really starting to p*#s me off.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A friend of mine has done light touring on a Defy with a pannier rack with no probs. It's an old-ish aluminium model is all I know. He's also used a seat post mounted bag that had a nasty tendency to swing out as if it was trying to overtake him.

OP
OP
sir adrian dangerous

sir adrian dangerous

Über Member
I was toying with the idea of using a topeak beam rack and swapping my seatpost for an aluminium one, but I went off the idea as it is limited to 9kg.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks a lot for the reply.My bike doesn't have mounts at the top so I will need a seat post clamp mount. I was using a ruck sack before but after a few hours it was really starting to p*#s me off.
You can use p clips otherwise assuming alu rather than carbon stays

OP
OP
sir adrian dangerous

sir adrian dangerous

Über Member
Yeah p clips are an option. My main concern was that I'd spend £100 on a rack and panniers and be kicking them while I'm riding. I think I'll put a larger tyre on the rear as well as they are 23mm at the moment.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah p clips are an option. My main concern was that I'd spend £100 on a rack and panniers and be kicking them while I'm riding. I think I'll put a larger tyre on the rear as well as they are 23mm at the moment.
That is of course a risk with panniers on a roadbike. I don't think anyone can tell you for sure if the issue is likely to arise

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some panniers - might be Ortleib - have a mount which enables you to rotate the pannier to increase heel clearance.

Alternatively, mount the rack sloping downwards, it will look a bit naff, but will increase heel clearance.

Mounting it as far back as you can will also help, although that will compromise balance a bit if heavily loaded.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have had a rack on my Defy (Aluminium). This was a size Large (about a 58) and my feet are size 11. They did not ever hit the panniers (Ortlieb back roller copies).

OP
OP
sir adrian dangerous

sir adrian dangerous

Über Member
Thanks milk float I was hoping for just such an answer. My defy is a large and my feet are slightly smaller at a 10 so I will take the plunge.

Top Bottom