Giant Defy Advanced 1 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Silverriders

Hi. This is my first post so please bare with me.
I have just purchased a New Giand Defy Advanced 1 2021 Road bike. Due to the unprecedented times we are currently in (Covid-19) all cycle shops near me have a waiting time of 12 weeks plus to build bikes, so it looks simple enough so going to do it myself. That said, In the box of bits it has various items that I do not know what they are for. I have search the Internet for assembly manuals and not able to find any. Does anyone have any advice on what all the bits are for (excluding the obvious like wheel deflectors, front and read deflectors and Bell;-))?

Put up some pics, worth a thousand words.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
YouTube will be your friend - but you need to know what to search for, so photos of what you are unsure of will help us advise you. Fitting bits will be the easy part, doing it correctly is another matter, be very careful not to over torque bolts, you could fairly easily cause significant damage.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I assembled a TCR a few years back, I think the main bit that confused me was that there were two seat post set ups (which I didn't know before), one of them was a seatpost plug that was set up as the battery store for Di2, so that was surplus. Once I'd worked out I didn't need that bit, it all fell into place.

Post some pics up of what you're not sure about and we'll help. Most of us have been there!

Oh and get yourself some carbon assembly paste, you'll need a smear for the seat tube at least.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Put some photos up of the bits you aren't sure about. Somebody on here will be able to help you out, I'm sure. As Cannucks says, sometimes there are surplus or optional bits.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello @Silverriders and :welcome: to the forum.

If you've got a little mechanical nouse you should be able to do it without any trouble.
Have a look at this video and decide if you can manage to do it. Shouldn't be any more difficult than an Ikea bookcase:

View: https://youtu.be/EKPA9_a2i_M

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
There maybe be some spare bits to allow future Di2 conversion when my lbs built mine they presented me with this bag of bits mainly grommets to fill what would be unused holes

OP
OP
S

Silverriders

Hi all. Many thanks for all the responses, very helpful indeed.
Having viewed the 2 suggested U tube vids it does seem within my remit and have completed the build. Just need to ensure torque is OK, check that the gears work correctly and breaks then set the seat hight and take it for a spin.
It makes sense regards the redundant bits and will keep them in a safe place, thanks.
I am also thinking of getting a pair of SKS Raceblade Pro XL mud Guards. Although it says they are no good if you ride with a buddy but are great for the rider, I quite like the way they are easily attached without having to remove the rear wheel first. Any ideas guys?

13 rider

Guru
Having viewed the 2 suggested U tube vids it does seem within my remit and have completed the build. Just need to ensure torque is OK, check that the gears work correctly and breaks then set the seat hight and take it for a spin.
It makes sense regards the redundant bits and will keep them in a safe place, thanks.
I am also thinking of getting a pair of SKS Raceblade Pro XL mud Guards. Although it says they are no good if you ride with a buddy but are great for the rider, I quite like the way they are easily attached without having to remove the rear wheel first. Any ideas guys?
Yes don't ride in the rain :laugh: . I have sks raceblades in case of bad weather . They don't save the rider behind from all the spray ,you can fashion a longer flap using a milk carton . Ive not bothered it means I get to ride at the back in the rain

DRM

Guru
You either know how to do it, or you don't.

Weigh your impatience against the risk of warranty problems if you do something wrong, and then decide.
I believe your new bike has a carbon frame, read the above and think very, very carefully about what happens if you tighten something a fraction too much without a torque wrench and destroy it by cracking it you will be gutted, let the LBS do it, and keep the warranty intact, Drago’s post is a wise one

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I believe your new bike has a carbon frame, read the above and think very, very carefully about what happens if you tighten something a fraction too much without a torque wrench and destroy it by cracking it you will be gutted, let the LBS do it, and keep the warranty intact, Drago’s post is a wise one
Well he's done it. He said he will check the correct torque so I'm sure everything should be okay. He can always drop it in to his LBS to check it over once things are a bit less frantic.
The only thing on the frame that should need tightening is the seat bolt which he's going to have to do himself anyway.

DRM

Guru
I have a Carbon Giant Defy, predecessor to your bike, if the frame is like mine you can’t fit mudguards to it due to a lack of clearance, however the aluminium framed Defy’s will take mudguards

Top Bottom