Giant Defy Advanced 1 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Well he's done it. He said he will check the correct torque so I'm sure everything should be okay. He can always drop it in to his LBS to check it over once things are a bit less frantic.
It’s a bit late once you’ve nipped it up too much, I fear the LBS will wash their hands of it, and any warranty too.

OP
OP
S

Silverriders

I have a Carbon Giant Defy, predecessor to your bike, if the frame is like mine you can’t fit mudguards to it due to a lack of clearance, however the aluminium framed Defy’s will take mudguards
Hi DRM. The Defy Advanced 1 has all the mount points on the frame so it can take mud guards. The great thing with the SKS Raceblade Pro XL is that no screws are involved.

battered

Guru
Make sure you get the torques right, it's critical. As for mudguards, if your pal doesn't want to get a faceful then he needs to ride to one side or drop back.

D

Deleted member 1258

Hi DRM. The Defy Advanced 1 has all the mount points on the frame so it can take mud guards. The great thing with the SKS Raceblade Pro XL is that no screws are involved.

The presence of mudguard fittings is no guarantee that mudguards will fit, my Eastway has all the mudguard fittings but minimal clearance under the brake bridge, I had great trouble getting mudguards on it.

Chislenko

Veteran
The presence of mudguard fittings is no guarantee that mudguards will fit, my Eastway has all the mudguard fittings but minimal clearance under the brake bridge, I had great trouble getting mudguards on it.

I share your pain with a Ridley I have just built.

Rear was fine but front allowed very little clearance.

With regards to torque wrench, I very rarely use one even on a carbon bike, as previous poster has said the only piece the op will be tightening onto carbon is the seat post and I feel sure he / she will be adjusting that at some future time.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I share your pain with a Ridley I have just built.

Rear was fine but front allowed very little clearance.

With regards to torque wrench, I very rarely use one even on a carbon bike, as previous poster has said the only piece the op will be tightening onto carbon is the seat post and I feel sure he / she will be adjusting that at some future time.
That depends on how the bike was shipped and how built it was. OP said they had to build the bike because the LBS did not have time, that sounds way more than adjusting seat height and putting wheels on.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
eerr yes, but if they will fit , a proper mudguard bolted to proper mounts will always be a better fit and wont rattle. The SKS products are a compromise solution for bikes with no proper mounts. They have improved with the various iterations over the years, but I don't see being attached by rubber bands vs screws (bolts) as an advantage.

DRM

Guru
Having seen the bike on giant's website it looks very much like mine, other than it has disc brakes, I hope they do fit, but I've got some SKS Race blades that fit on my winter bike and there's no way they will fit on the Giant

DRM

Guru
eerr yes, but if they will fit , a proper mudguard bolted to proper mounts will always be a better fit and wont rattle. The SKS products are a compromise solution for bikes with no proper mounts. They have improved with the various iterations over the years, but I don't see being attached by rubber bands vs screws (bolts) as an advantage.
They are if you don't really want mudguards all the time, so are easily removed for dry days

Top Bottom