Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 - the lure of n+1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockpig

Über Member
5 months after getting back into cycling the whole n+1 thing struck.

There I was in the LBS one Saturday morning a couple of weeks ago buying a cassette removal tool when the owner asked if I needed anything else. "Well, I'd love a full carbon, Di2 Ultegra groupset road bike" I say, only half joking. He asked what kind of riding I do and I replied that I have a CX as it means I can ride on canal paths with the kids and ride on the road when out on my own, and that I was enjoying riding on the road much more than I'd expected to. If I was going to buy a road bike I'd buy something that I wouldn't want to start upgrading so I'd want carbon, Di2 etc.

From a line of bikes he pulled out a Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 and offered me a great deal on it as it's a 2016 model. Big discount, bike fit and 2 services a year for however long I have the bike. It's a bike I shouldn't have to upgrade for a long time.

I made the huge mistake of having a test ride. Oh my, Di2 is amazing. This thing just flew. I was smitten. However, I'd gone in to buy a £10 tool, not a bike. "I'll think about it" I say.

A couple of days later I've read all the reviews I can find and confused myself over frame sizes (I'm convinced I'm an M, the LBS think an ML). I go back to the LBS and try both frame sizes and they're right, the ML feels better. The mechanic says I've got a long torso and long arms for my height and the sizing chart doesn't take this into account. He talks me through the different ways to setup the Di2 shifters, his advice is right hand one to move to smaller cogs on the cassette and big ring, left one to move to larger cogs and small ring. I'm sold.

So, today I had the fit and here it is...my (first) n+1

IMG_0356.jpg

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Nice, very nice.

That shifting sounds weird. When I test rode a bike with ultegra Di2 the shifting was the same as with mechanical Shimano gears (i thought), but what you have described is quite different..?

bb

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Looks beautiful and I wish you many happy miles (which I'm sure you'll be having.) Nice :smile:

OP
OP
rockpig

rockpig

Über Member
That shifting sounds weird. When I test rode a bike with ultegra Di2 the shifting was the same as with mechanical Shimano gears (i thought), but what you have described is quite different..?

bb
Di2 by default is like mechanical gearing, right shifter for rear mech, left for front. It's configurable though so I have the right shifter for "harder/faster" (smaller cogs, big ring) and left for "easier/slower" (larger cogs, small ring). It works really nicely.

Di2 by default is like mechanical gearing, right shifter for rear mech, left for front. It's configurable though so I have the right shifter for "harder/faster" (smaller cogs, big ring) and left for "easier/slower" (larger cogs, small ring). It works really nicely.

Fowgeddaboutit, it looks the beans anyhow :smile:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Only an Ultegra cranks? That needs upgrading straight away! - only joking that thing looks awesome, enjoy.
(goes back to cleaning his 105 cranks).

Big Andy

Über Member
Ooooh very very nice. I have the Pro 3 and love it. You will get many very enjoyable miles on that.

Not usually a fan of Defys' but that does look nice,think the deeper wheels and the colour scheme help.

Oh and get rid of that silly plastic protector on the back wheel;)

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Nice bike!

I'm similar to you in that I have one bike, my arkose 3 which has seen me upgrade the brakes to hydraulics, and the wheels to Hunt Gravel. The last payment comes out for it this month and it will all be paid off. Like you I wanted a "do it all bike" but I find myself more and more on road and I fancy an N+1. Thinking something a bit road racier. Currently looking at Trek Emonda ALR5 with budget left to buy a nice wheel upgrade. Or perhaps a CAAD12 105 or SuperSix Evo 105, bit more so wheel upgrade budget will be less or have to wait.

Thinking of popping to the Evans in Gatwick to try them out for size tomorrow as not working, looking at the geometry the Trek is the nearest to my Arkose while the two Cannondales are a bit more agressive.

Di2 is well beyond my budget really, but your Giant does look nice. Enjoy!

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Goes in for a tool, comes out with a shiny new bike. Man after my own heart ^_^

Well done, it looks superb. I have a "lowly" advanced 4, and whilst not the prettiest of bikes, the ride is absolutely sublime.
Congratulations!

OP
OP
rockpig

rockpig

Über Member
Only an Ultegra cranks? That needs upgrading straight away! - only joking that thing looks awesome, enjoy.
(goes back to cleaning his 105 cranks).

LOL...oh look...Dura Ace...swoon :-)

Not usually a fan of Defys' but that does look nice,think the deeper wheels and the colour scheme help.

Oh and get rid of that silly plastic protector on the back wheel;)

Not sure how to get it off other than cut the damn thing off. Looks like it was put on the hub before the cassette.

Top Bottom