Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 - the lure of n+1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rockpig

rockpig

Über Member
Nice bike!

I'm similar to you in that I have one bike, my arkose 3 which has seen me upgrade the brakes to hydraulics, and the wheels to Hunt Gravel. The last payment comes out for it this month and it will all be paid off. Like you I wanted a "do it all bike" but I find myself more and more on road and I fancy an N+1. Thinking something a bit road racier. Currently looking at Trek Emonda ALR5 with budget left to buy a nice wheel upgrade. Or perhaps a CAAD12 105 or SuperSix Evo 105, bit more so wheel upgrade budget will be less or have to wait.

Thinking of popping to the Evans in Gatwick to try them out for size tomorrow as not working, looking at the geometry the Trek is the nearest to my Arkose while the two Cannondales are a bit more agressive.

Di2 is well beyond my budget really, but your Giant does look nice. Enjoy!
Thanks. I can definitely tell the difference between an out and out road bike and the "do it all" one. Good luck with your search.

rob01792

Über Member
The mechanic in the LBS plugged it into a laptop - apparently it's very configurable. Worth asking your LBS if they have the software if you fancy giving it a go.

Was hoping i could do it myself sound similar to etap how would u change down/up on the chainring
Be careful when putting the seat down the cable can get caught in the gap between the seatstays and seatpost i known from 1st hand experience i cut through the cable 1st day i had it lowering the seat

OP
OP
rockpig

rockpig

Über Member
Was hoping i could do it myself sound similar to etap how would u change down/up on the chainring
Be careful when putting the seat down the cable can get caught in the gap between the seatstays and seatpost i known from 1st hand experience i cut through the cable 1st day i had it lowering the seat
Thanks for the tip about the seat post!
I think the only way to alter the configuration is using the software. I have the chainring set to go to the big ring on the right knobbly switch and to the small ring on the left knobbly switch. The smooth ones do the rear mech.

pclay

Veteran

You can. You need to plug the Di2 junction box into a laptop, and download the free ETube software from Shimano. you can the tweak the function of Di2 till your hearts content.

pclay

Veteran
LOL...oh look...Dura Ace...swoon :-)

Not sure how to get it off other than cut the damn thing off. Looks like it was put on the hub before the cassette.

It is put on before the cassette. The correct way to remove it is to take the cassette off first. However there is no issue if you can find a way to hack it off with a knife, hacksaw, scissors or similar, which means you don't need to remove the cassette.

OP
OP
rockpig

rockpig

Über Member
You can. You need to plug the Di2 junction box into a laptop, and download the free ETube software from Shimano. you can the tweak the function of Di2 till your hearts content.
That is awesome. Thanks so much. I thought this was only available if you bought it. Will download to iPad later.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
It is put on before the cassette. The correct way to remove it is to take the cassette off first. However there is no issue if you can find a way to hack it off with a knife, hacksaw, scissors or similar, which means you don't need to remove the cassette.

My experience with them is that it's a million times easier to whip the cassette off- the ones I've had to take off have been made stronger than steel!

rob01792

Über Member

any tutorial about ive had a quick google cant seam to find much info

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Thanks. I can definitely tell the difference between an out and out road bike and the "do it all" one. Good luck with your search.

Thanks, went to try CAAD12' Supersix Evo and Trek Emonda ALR today, went to the Evans Gatwick store as their website listed as having them all in stock.

Unfortunately not it seems, I did get to ride a lovely CAAD12 Ultegra, a 54" which was ever so slightly too small I think a 56" would be more appropriate.

Really tempted to pull he trigger on it. The only thing holding me back is the Supersix is only £70 more. But if I bought the Supersix I would have to change the saddle and bar tape as I don't like white. The external cabling on the Supersix seems odd as well, not sure why but it annoys me.

OP
OP
rockpig

rockpig

Über Member
Really tempted to pull he trigger on it. The only thing holding me back is the Supersix is only £70 more. But if I bought the Supersix I would have to change the saddle and bar tape as I don't like white. The external cabling on the Supersix seems odd as well, not sure why but it annoys me.
How much more is it in total once you add in a new saddle and bar tape? Is it worth the extra money and could you live with the external cable routing. If it annoys you now will you learn to live with it or will it always annoy you?

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
How much more is it in total once you add in a new saddle and bar tape? Is it worth the extra money and could you live with the external cable routing. If it annoys you now will you learn to live with it or will it always annoy you?

Yes you make some very valid points, in terms of cost I might make most of the cost of a new saddle back by selling the one that comes with the bike, as to the cabling I'm sure I'd get over it.

Will I really prefer the carbon frame over the aluminium ? The CAAD is very well received so maybe save some money and get the CAAD.

Decisions, decisions!

Top Bottom