Giant defy calipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
are they any good or flex , would u pay more and hold off for 105 they've gotten b better than the single pivot weinmann s on my fixed( two brakes fitted)

Ajax Bay

Guru
Model/year of Defy and link would make it easier to offer a useful opinion.
Are the brakes these: Brakes Tektro TK-R312 Giant Specific, Dual Pivot ?

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
It's just an ad saying brand new calipers taken off a giant defy there's no branding on them but look like tektro

Ajax Bay

Guru
Their braking effect/capability'd be better than the Weinmanns you've got (I have some 1970s W 500s on my 81 ALAN) but far less 'cred'. Depends if you want to stop quickly. Bear in mind these will likely be recessed nuts ie allen key as opposed to normal through bolt and nut. So will 105s unless really old - not sure when dual pivot came in and through nut and bolt went out. Don't know what your SS needs.
See this 2011 thread.

e-rider

crappy member
buy the best calipers that you can get, and make sure they match the pull ratio of the levers
Shimano ultegra are very good for the money and noticeably more powerful than 105

e-rider

crappy member
Can I enquire how you notice this power? Since the physical dimensions of the caliper designs are almost identical, the mechanical advantage must be the same. Or is it that the calipers are lighter and therefore the brakes have less mass to decelerate?
I'm sure it has nothing to do with less mass to decelerate! I have tried both and there is a big difference - I can only guess that the ultegra caliper must have less flex, due to design and/or materials. Try them both and see you will see what I mean.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The 'less mass' option was a sacrificial anode (for you) ;). Surely the difference, if any, will be in modulation and mechanical advantage (dimensions the same remember), rather than power, after all the power comes from your fingers/hand.
I think there may have been a difference between older 105 and Ultegra brakes. Though cables/outers quality/wear level could potentially make more difference than the difference in materials/manufacturing quality. And I suggest that you'd struggle to 'notice' a difference in the current model Ultegra/105, other than a small bit of weight.

Top Bottom