Giant Defy Composite mudguards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Idoru

Anyone got a composite that they've fitted mudguards too?

If so which ones did you go for and how fiddly were they to fit? (I'm severly cak-handed)

Someone bought me the Giant specific ones for Xmas, but they're only for the alloy bikes... no fixing points on the carbon versions of the bike.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Not much help, but I've just bought crud catcher 2's, haven't fitted them yet, sorry, but there is a comedy YouTube vid where the guy fitting cuts his hand! Will try and fit them soon. For me it was between these and race blades, went for the cruds as they were cheaper.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Crud Road-Racer 2's They are on my carbon Defy right now :smile:

The enclosed instructions are crap, watch their fitting video instead and all becomes clear. Do the same (without cutting your hand obviously) take your time, and you'll have them on and off inside 5 mins every time after that.

I found that the shaped section of the seat tube is exactly where you need to zip-tie the guard, so I cut a piece of hard foam and stuck it to the guard to fill the gap and keep the guard in shape.

OP
OP
Idoru

Idoru

Should have mentioned (not sure if it's standard) I'm running with 25mm tyres (gatorskins)... just in case that makes a difference.

I never thought about that silly cut out bit of the seatpost either... what a awkward bike :-)

Thanks for the info, I'll probably invest in a pair to see if they fit.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Should have mentioned (not sure if it's standard) I'm running with 25mm tyres (gatorskins)... just in case that makes a difference.

I never thought about that silly cut out bit of the seatpost either... what a awkward bike :-)

Thanks for the info, I'll probably invest in a pair to see if they fit.

It's a throwback to the Giant TCR bikes, only the cut-out in the seat post on a TCR has a more 'wheel hugging' appearance.

vickster

Legendary Member
If cack handed, pay your lbs to take the pain of fitting. They can also try different options if needed

I had cruds on an alu avail (wsd defy) running 25mm and they rubbed. I think they're poor and flimsy, but little choice with carbon bikes

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I use a clip on gaurds on my defy . Most of the time I only need the rear one and it can be on and off in less than a minute . Looks crap but then so do all mudguards .

OP
OP
Idoru

Idoru

Typical of my luck, bought some cruds to fit, had everything lined up and was ready to cut the rear one to fit... double checked everything before going ahead, low and behold... 1 missing screw and nut pair. Dagnabit!

Back to Halfords I go :angry::boxing:

stumpy66

Veteran
I didn't like the crud catchers too flimsy and broke easily, I ended up using race guards on my defy composite, they don't give as much coverage but they kept your ar*e dry

Well, you probably don't need my input at this point, but when I but my (alu) Avail from Giant in Twickenham., I got them to fit the standard mudguards. After 10 sweary minutes trying to fit them, the salesman called a mechanic and it was at least another 5 minutes. Pain in arse job.

Good luck :laugh:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Fitted my crud road racer 2's tonight, yes they are a fiddle and I don't really see how they are easy to take on and off when fiddling with hard to reach cable ties etc but they seem to fit ok and run without scuffing. Just need to get out and try them at some point. Can't seem to get the tails nice and snug though, not that it matters I suppose.
image.jpg

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
This is on 23's BTW. ^^^^^^^^^^ and clearance is very tight but I was amazed they don't rub. The front fork attachments didn't fit very well due to the very thin lower "blade" of the fork, I doubled up on o rings as suggested in the blurb and hope they don't move too much.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Fit looks good. They are really tight to the tyre, but mine haven't rubbed unless they are too full of mud. They haven't moved either. What I did do was to wrap some insulation tape around the forks and seatstays where the fixings go, partly to protect the paint and partly to provide a grippier surface for them.

It's been long noted that 25mm tyres tend not to work with them unless the frame has unusually generous clearance.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Ummm didn't think of that, just used "helicopter" tape that I had laying around but the plastic bracket thingy is wider than the fork so doesn't sit quite right, might try your suggestion!

Top Bottom