Giant defy mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackthelad

HI guys I have got a giant defy 2 and was thinking of getting the giant mudguards which are made for the bike I run gatorskin 25c tyres and was wondering if anyone has them and if there are any issues with these mudguards like clearances etc, any help appreciated

jackthelad

musa

Über Member
If you have ~5mm space between the wheel and guard you'll be fine

Fat chance of a 5mm gap with those guards on the Defy.

I have them and the clearances were extremely tight with the 25c tyres that came with the bike, but they fitted and worked well, quite a bugger to adjust though.
When the tyres were replaced with 23c's then clearance was a lot better and they were far easier to put on and adjust accordingly.

Fitting them, especially on the rear is most easy with the bike suspended correct way up and the wheels and brake calipers need to be removed. Start by attaching at the brak caliper, then attach to the rubber grommit on the back of the seat tube but do not over tighten. The rest is easy ^_^

Pics of mine with stock tyres are http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my-return-to-road-bikes.61710/#post-1157051

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
whssign.JPG
Same here - save I did not tighten the rubber grommit screw enough & the guards started to rattle. Run much better with 23s...

or you could try the mk 2 crud road racers, really easy to fit.

i have the giant rapid 4 see pic attached. They take 10 minutes to take off and refit - a bonus in this weather.

Attachments

• IMAG1288.jpg
    IMAG1288.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
J

jackthelad

guys thanks for the posts I had a rough idea that they would be tight.2loose the bike I have is the same as yours but with 25c gatorskins so might be a bit tight , so the verdict from most of the guys looks like the crud racer mk2

thanks for all the replies

Hi Jackthelad,

Not sure if this link works but try it?

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/post-1826305

I have the Defy 2.5 with 25c. Once you get them adjusted (allow 2 hrs..) they are fine. But you need patience......

Andy

Top Bottom