Giant Defy or Specialized Allez

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kems

Hi - I'm hoping to get some advice to help me decide which road bike to buy. I'm want to buy an entry level road bike. I have tried a 2014 Specialized Allez today but I want to try a Giant Defy 3. The trouble is a Defy 3 in XL is rare beast at the moment. So I can't find one to try.

The Defy 3 is available on the Internet but I'm a bit concerned with buying blind.

Can anyone give me some advice on how the Defy and Allez frame differ or are they similar?

Thank you

musa

Über Member
Get. A trek 1.2. I'm not really into trek for entry level i alwaya offer trek. Thr allez is poorly equipped but nicer looking for the 2014 models

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the budget and specs of the Allez? Personally, I'd go for the one with the carbon fork and preferably better groupset

vickster

Legendary Member
Defy then...Specialized frames may be good but their spec isn't and seems to get worse every year...spend too much money on marketing and sponsorship methinks!

OP
OP
K

Kems

I really like the Defy 3 in Black. It has Shimano Sora Groupsets. I've seen 2013 Defy 3 in Black for £579!

I'm really tempted, but as I said earlier I'm concerned about buying blind. But that being said the Defy has a much better spec. So it just comes down to frame and geometry I guess.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you tried the Giant stores if you have one close?

Ashcycles often have good deals on Defys

Peteaud

Veteran
Cant really go wrong with a Defy.

Brilliant bikes imho

I realise you only have given an option of 2 bikes, but I would also check out the decanthlon triban 3 or even 5 at that price range.

OP
OP
K

Kems

Vickster - I spoken to Giant Bristol and they said that the only Giant Defy 3 in XL was red. No blacks ones left!

Thanks for all the replies. Opinion seems to lean toward Giant. I will look on the Internet at the Triban 3 & 5

I'd be concerned about buying blind too. Frame size is not consistent across models or brands and you really don't want a bike that doesn't fit you. Even a great one.
If you can try any model Defy for size (the D3 has the same frame as the others.) then do so, even if it means taking a trip to the next town.
Disclaimer, I also have a Defy :-)

bbbean

Don't buy blind. Take the time to ride what you are considering. Rides and fits vary considerably.

Fwiw, you might want to ride a Specialized Roubaix and a Trek Domane while you're at it. I love my Defy, but each bike has its own unique ride and fit.

BB

Top Bottom