Giant Defy or Specialized Allez

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garethssmith

Vickster - I spoken to Giant Bristol and they said that the only Giant Defy 3 in XL was red. No blacks ones left!

Thanks for all the replies. Opinion seems to lean toward Giant. I will look on the Internet at the Triban 3 & 5

Try the L in the Defy, I went into an LBS all set on a Large frame, but after a quick "fitting", I was told that a M/L was more suited to my body. I've done 150 miles on my Defy 2 and it's comfy as hell. It's worth a shot

OP
OP
K

Kems

I went into Giant Bristol today. They are very kindly going to build a 2014 Defy 5 in XL for me to try tomorrow. I'm really grateful to them. Particularly as they know I want a 2013 Defy 2 or 3 and Giant no longer have any.

The guy in the shop told me to try online. Pedal On and a couple of others have stock.

I went to another bike shop in Bristol and they have a 2014 61cm in black; which is the colour I'd want if I choose the Specialized. My LBS isn't getting any in black until mid September.

bpsmith

Veteran
Got my Defy a few weeks back, albeit the Defy 1, and am sure you will love it!

Chose it over the Specialized Allez that I had all but decided on until a saw the Giant.

OP
OP
K

Kems

Same here. I rode a Defy 5 tonight. I loved it. Nice and comfortable, not as stiff as the Allez. So I'm pretty sure now that I'm going for the Defy 3 in black. I can get a Defy 2 for £599 but the colour is a bit naff :smile:

Albert

Über Member
Defy defynately. Giants are brilliant bikes and brilliant value, and you get enough grease in all the places grease should be - bottom bracket for example. I know from personal experience that this doesn't always happen with Specialized bikes which are always built down to a price point..

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Same here. I rode a Defy 5 tonight. I loved it. Nice and comfortable, not as stiff as the Allez. So I'm pretty sure now that I'm going for the Defy 3 in black. I can get a Defy 2 for £599 but the colour is a bit naff :smile:

You have made a very accurate assessment yourself regarding the differences between the Allez and Defy. They are both great bikes but very different beasts.
The Defy is a good frame set and has its geometry bang on the money for the newbie or less flexible riders, the bike features a very long head tube and long chain stays as such its not great for aspiring racers. The standard wheels on giants are typically heavy which impacts how well they climb. Overall they are great bikes, stable and comfortable however the turn in and long head tube means you are unlikely to find any doing well at your local crit circuit.
The 2014 Allez is more focused towards a racier feel, its geometry is more aggressive and it features a shorter head tube, its like a little Specialized Tarmac which is to be expected as it now shares the exact same geometry. The front end is pretty stiff for a bike in this class and the turn in is great, and I expect I will have my arse handed to me on numerous occasions in local crit races by people riding these. An outstanding budget race bike

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Defy defynately. Giants are brilliant bikes and brilliant value, and you get enough grease in all the places grease should be - bottom bracket for example. I know from personal experience that this doesn't always happen with Specialized bikes which are always built down to a price point..

I have had bad experiences with both, but to me the Giant was worse. Everybody has different experiences though I guess.

My Specialized Secteur Sport: Rear wheel constantly going out of true. Replaced wheels with Aksium's as I was fed up of it, and from what I have read cheap Alexrim wheels are just shite anyway.

Ex Wife's Giant hybrid: Can't remember the exact model, but whether it was down to me not checking or expecting better I do not know. I took our bikes on holiday only to find that the rear hub on the Giant was really loose and rough as hell when spinning the wheel with loads of play. The bike had done less than 150 miles. It was just to Center Parcs so she just used it, probably knackered the wheel totally. Whom this bike was aimed at should not be expected to be re-packing/adjusting cone bearings at under 100 miles, just IMVHO.

I posted threads on here about both bikes but was ages ago.

If my Secteur had the Mavic CXP22's like the later models appear to have I am sure I would have had no issues.

I have just come to the conclusion that entry level wheels are probably crap, or maybe I've just been unlucky. Certainly have no regrets buying a Specialized and if and when I can afford it I am positive my next bike would be a Roubaix.

Out of the 2 I would probably get the Giant because it is more relaxed, but then again I would rather have a Secteur. Maybe the OP should be looking at that bike instead of the Allez if they want a more relaxed geometry bike that is.

OP
OP
K

Kems

I did ride a Secteur on th day I rode the Allez. It was nice but I don't want a triple.

Just got to decide between the Defy 2 and 3 now. I just don't like the colour of the 2 so will probably go for the 3 in black.

Robeh

Defy has the better spec than the Allez..mate off mine just bought the allez because out off the 2 he preferred the Allez which im my book if fair enough.it's down to personal taste i guess..

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I did ride a Secteur on th day I rode the Allez. It was nice but I don't want a triple.

Just got to decide between the Defy 2 and 3 now. I just don't like the colour of the 2 so will probably go for the 3 in black.
The Defy 2 is the better bike than the 3. Its the next one up the range.

If you can afford the better spec, that's what I would recommend. Now you know what size you are, can you not look around for a Defy 2 that you prefer the colour of?

OP
OP
K

Kems

Unfortunately if I spent £800 on a bike I'll probably find myself divorced! £600 is the budget now. However, a year or two time, who knows!!

Top Bottom