Giant Defy v Carrera Virtuso?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

Rushy

Well, i think it's now between the Btwin Triban 5 (or 3 if I can get my head round red) and the Defy 4. Similar prices & will be going to Decathlon tonight to look at the Btwin and a local cycle shop tomorrow to look at the Defy 4.
Many thanks for all of your replies and I'll keep you posted of the outcome.

Sca1ey

went to Halfrauds sat on the Virtuoso Ltd Edition. Only had the small in store, & the gear change was broken even though it was new.. Not overwhelmed by it. Fair play to the sales lad, very helpful and knew his stuff. That was Romford branch.. the Chadwell Heath branch wouldnt have noticed me if I was dancing naked holding a sparkler. So, now looking at the Defy 3 & 4 again although the Btwin has got great reviews for it's price, just dont like red bikes (or cars).

But 'red ones go faster'. :tongue:

Powely

I've got the Carrera Virtuoso Ltd and it's been a good bike up until I've came off it (about to post another thread about this) and I picked my mate up a 2nd hand Defy 3 on eBay and it's a much better ride than my carrera. I would personally go for the Giant, to be fair I knew this when I bought the Carrera though and price won....helped by the fact I had some vouchers for Halfords. I would go for the Giant though if I had the choice again, even it cost my pocket a little more.

Typhon

I viewed the Carrera Virtuoso when I was looking to buy my first road bike earlier this week but Halfords were useless in my experience and their idea of a "large" is 54cm, which was completely unsuitable for me.

I went to Decathlon and immediately fell in love with the Triban 3. Great bike, great customer service. You won't regret it if you get one - if you can manage to get your hands on one that is!

Giant, every time; one of the best framebuilders out there and you can start with a Defy 4 and upgrade as you go along - wheels, groupset parts etc. I don't think you'll find any difference between the frame on a Defy 4 as you would on a Defy 1, I might be wrong but the 2009 version of the Defy 3 was the same frame as 1,2 and the lower specced 4. Only the componentry should differ, which as I say, can be upgraded over time.

OP
OP
R

Rushy

Hi, went to Decathlon last night, tried Triban 3 & 5! Liked them both, only thing I'm not sure about is the Sora shifters but as the Defy 3 & 4 also use them I'll have to live with it or upgrade to Ultega or 105's. Anyway looking at a sale Defy 4 this morning and will make my choice then! The Defy on sale is £100 more than the Triban 3.
Will let you all know the outcome.....

Edit: The Defy uses Shimano 2300's, sorry. Its the same awkward thumb position for downchange they share.

Just to clarify, Triban 3 is 2300 as well. I think the Triban 5 is Sora

OP
OP
R

Rushy

Just to clarify, Triban 3 is 2300 as well. I think the Triban 5 is Sora

Sorry yes you are right.

Must admit at decathlon last night there were 3 of us all trying them and all comparing the reviews we had read. Very tempting.

defy-one

Buy the Giant. The frame geometry is better and upgrading the shifters etc will make it a little more future proof. Resale value will also be better.
I have the Defy 1 & Triban 3. Both good bikes,but the Defy frame is more comfortable imo

Top Bottom