Giant Defy XL Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

line71

Hello
Im considering purchasing a Giant Defy 3,i am 6 ft 1 and about 13 stone,im fairly slim build
It will be my first road bike as i have been riding a Dawes hybrid for the last 8 years

Would it be advisable to go for either a large or XL size frame on the Giant?

I prefer a slightly longer reach,is the geometry different for the 2 sizes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Peteaud

Veteran
I am 6 foot and ride a 2010 Defy 2

Frame is M/L and it fits me perfectly (i also have quite a long reach)

I would try a large frame 1st,

Lee_M

Guru
i dont have a defy at all, but im 6"3 and none of the defys fit me, so Id say you would need the xl

Peteaud

Veteran
I should add a friend who is 5'10" has a 2012 Defy 2 Medium.

You really need to have a ride on one.

The wife has just bought a new bike, the bike shop came out with "her size" which she hated, went up a size "too big" and she says it is comfy and fits perfectly.

Reece

Veteran
+1 on trying one ine person.

All the size guides I read made it to seem I needed an L. Went to the Giant store at Rutland who reckoned I'd need a M/L which felt good, just needed a longer seat post as standard went over min insertion mark with spd-sl's on (giant post supplied FoC), I tried the L too but felt far too stretched out. Glad I didn't just buy online without trying.

A mate of mine is/was selling a Large, (56cm) Defy 2 recently.

I think he still has it but I can easily check if you're interested.

I've no idea whereabouts you are, but if you are anywhere near Bolton, (BL3), then he'd be very happy to let you try it.

OP
OP
L

line71

A mate of mine is/was selling a Large, (56cm) Defy 2 recently.

I think he still has it but I can easily check if you're interested.

I've no idea whereabouts you are, but if you are anywhere near Bolton, (BL3), then he'd be very happy to let you try it.
Thanks for everyones advice,sorry if this was posted in the wrong forum
Unfortuneatly im down in Southampton so Bolton is abit too far for me,there are a couple of dealers down here that can help me out
Thanks again

Sandra6

Veteran
It's not just about how tall you are though is it? It's leg to body ratio too. Some people have much longer legs than others, or longer torsos.
Mr6 is only 5'6 and his defy (I forget if it's a 2 or a 4, could even be a 3?!) is a Large.
I'm an inch taller than him and his bike is too big for me, although I know ladies fit is different according to the man in the bike shop I'd need a 55 at the smallest if I went for a road bike.

MarkF

Guru
I am 6'1" and have a defy 4 XL that fits fine if that is any help

I am 6' 1" and the XL was definitely too big for me and I like bikes slightly too big. I tried all sizes XL,L & M/L at the All Terrain shop in Saltaire and the salesman tried to pursuade me the M/L was the correct size for me.

You need to try them yourself

Top Bottom