Giant defy1 tyres in the wet ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevelloydis

Hi am new to this site , I too had my first ride on defy 1 today unfortunately on my first corner the bike slid out from under me ! Only 5 miles old, bent derailer, torn bar tape torn body! What I would like to know is wether it is because the tyres have no tread on them as I was on all weather armadillo before and had no problem on this mildly wet corner at a faster pace or is it that the tyres are brand new and not bedded in as if they are always going to be that slippery in wet I will have to change them ?
Thanks Steve

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New tyres need to be run in as they very often have manufacturing residue on them that makes them slippy. You just have to take it easy first few miles till the

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Skinny tyres and damp corners don't mix. Especially at the moment when the roads are very greasy. Ride slower and take it easy round bends.

Kies

Never had an issue on Defy 1 .... Taken many a fast corner .... This was after 3 months of summer riding!!!

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Slicks and wet conditions are not an issue; the problems start with poor technique/awareness!

Avoid:
- braking in corners;
- drain covers;
- lines on the road;
- anything vaguely shiny (could be petrol etc);
- puddles of standing water (may hide pothole).

As written above, it may take a while for the protective covering to degrade and until then, be a little cautious.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Some tyres are better than others regarding grip, I've been using Continental Grand Prix tyres and I've become very accustomed to leaning into corners at speed. I might not be so confident when using other tyres.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
If the tyres are Vittorio Zafiro Slicks (cheap, poor tyres fitted to a fair few new bikes) then they will nevever get any better, they will always be like riding on soap in the wet.

Edwards80

Über Member
If the tyres are Vittorio Zafiro Slicks (cheap, poor tyres fitted to a fair few new bikes) then they will nevever get any better, they will always be like riding on soap in the wet.

+1 there. They are cheap and slippery, but comfortable and reliable. I have had a lot of sideways moments with them.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Sorry but in my book, slippery != comfortable or reliable.

I'd much rather have the comfort of knowing I can reliably corner and stop without ending up sideways on the road looking up at oncoming traffic......

Edwards80

Über Member
Sorry but in my book, slippery != comfortable or reliable.

I'd much rather have the comfort of knowing I can reliably corner and stop without ending up sideways on the road looking up at oncoming traffic......

It's not like they're permanently sliding all over the place. I've commuted on them for thousands of miles and not had any really dangerous moments. Once you know their limits it's ok. . . not that I would recommend them!

They're comfortable in the "Not harsh" sense and reliable in the "not letting things get to your innertube" sense.

Kies

Stock giant tyres have been fine and i have done over a thousand miles with just one puncture

Top Bottom