Giant escape 3 2017 hybrid bike or the Triban 500SE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

broady

Veteran
If you are looking for a riding club at all then depending on pace then I'd recommend Leicester Spokes or Leicester Forest Cycling Club if your a bit quicker.

OP
OP
J

Jimmyj84

Update

Okay I have made a Huge mistake going for a drop bar road bike as a complete newbie to cycling. I have arranged for a return of the bike.

Trying to get used to the gears and everything on the bike was just confusing. And i couldn't balance! I didn't have this problem when I did a hour training on a normal flat bar bike.

I will now stick to a cheap second flat bar bike to get used to riding.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry about that, they take a bit of getting used to. Swap it for the Triban 100 flat bar bike, same price.
If you buy a used you might end up spending on it if you don’t know what you’re buying.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jimmyj84

Sorry about that, they take a bit of getting used to. Swap it for the Triban 100 flat bar bike, same price.
If you buy a used you might end up spending on it if you don’t know what you’re buying.

Thanks. Size large of the Triban 100 flat is out of stock.

OP
OP
J

Jimmyj84

They have a Large in Coventry if you can collect from there or order on line. Can they transfer it from there?

I think I should stick to hybrid for my first bike. I only need it for riding to uni and around town.

What about the Carrera Subway 1 hybrid bike. Do you think its a good bike? If not can you recommend me a good hybrid bike? I don't want to spend more than £300. Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Subway is a good budget bike and often recommended on here. It’ll be heavier and will feel slower than the Triban 100 but that’s something that you might not appreciate right now, only when you’ve ridden a few and can compare.
How about this? Not too far from you: https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/trek-7.5fx-sports-hybrid-bike-/1287780380

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I don't think I'd recommend a Giant Escape 3 if you are still considering one.

I bought one a few years ago when I knew nothing about bicycles. Mostly it has been fine but the wheels were terrible. The rear wheel is an old-style freewheel type with a weak axle (due to bearing placement) and I broke two axles before replacing the whole wheel. I am pretty heavy though so YMMV. I believe most bicycles around that price point, and the Escape 2, use the modern cassette style hubs which are much stronger.

OP
OP
J

Jimmyj84

Okay yesterday I rode the bike from the shop to the house after looking at google map and seeing that the journey was supposed to be 10min. I was like if you are going to be riding on the road for the first time you gonna have to take some risk. Well the journey took over 30min because i got lost following the Google map. Fell down once and crash to a poll/tree twice.

Also the seat of the bike was/is very uncomfortable. Ugh!!! the pain! Few times I had to get off the bike to to take a break. I took the bike to a bike shop today to see if I could change the seat but I was advised to give it like a month to see if I get used to it.

Today I rode to the bike to the shop and uni. I had more confident than yesterday. Still need to work on my balance. Sometimes when I don't feel safe i stop the bike and just push it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yeah bike saddles take a bit of getting used to, give it time. It'll get better. If you want to change it forget those well padded gel ones, they don't work, find one that matches your sit bones. It's trial and error, I found the perfect one in the secondhand for a fiver.

Top Bottom