Giant feels the chill from falling demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm sorry but this really made me laugh. You posted pictures of several bikes - no technical specs, prices, etc. and somehow that proves something? I don't want to know what you bought if you only care about looks :laugh::laugh::laugh:

As others, including the OP, pointed out: Giant is the world's largest bicycle designer and manufacturer. They are also the biggest e-bikes seller in the world amongst bike brands. In a sense, it's no surprise that they're the first to feel a real pinch - though several smaller businesses, like of Pinarello, are also on track to change hands - mainly because last year inflated their value. In that sense this is, indeed, very significant news and will send ripples throughout the industry.

To be fair, the Giant does lack a certain refinement compared to the other models.

It looks much chunkier, and personally I like my bikes to be a lot more svelte.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
To be fair, the Giant does lack a certain refinement compared to the other models.

Yes, the ugly fat downtube is horrendous to look at.

gzoom

Über Member
As others, including the OP, pointed out: Giant is the world's largest bicycle designer and manufacturer.

Nokia was the mobile industry not that long ago, remember Netscape? How about Kodka, even GM once made a profit!!

The bike industry is like any other, innovation is what keeps you in business. Giant makes a range of bikes that look as exciting as drying paint. The coming/here economic crunch means those companies who cannot adapt are going to fail.

I've been looking into buying a new eBike for the last 12 months, the fact the first time I even bothered to look at a Giant bike was promoted by this thread tells you everything you need to know about Giants eBike product line.

Given high ticket/cost items are where most brands make their profit, there is something seriously wrong with Giants approach to eBike if they cannot get the attention of potential customers ls like my self (I've spend roughly £6k on eBikes in the last 3 years).

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Having just dropped a decent amount of coin on a new bike, I have to say Giant as a brand never once even made it on the shortlist. The market is heading very firmly towards the eBike/innovation end of the market. I've just been on to the Giant website, and their eBike 'range' resembles something I would expect to see in 2010 not 2022.

Forget details on specs etc, just look at this thing....It looks as appealing to ride as a supermarket mobility scooter.

View attachment 672582

Didn’t a rider try and use that in the TDF but got found out as officials were suspicious?

mustang1

Guru
I have no working knowledge of insolvency rules in Taiwan but in the UK if you break your payment terms with suppliers you run the risk of pretty serious consequences e.g. suppliers are within their rights to withhold supplies, the smaller ones who desperately need the money will take court action to recover their debts and the hard liners will even start winding up proceedings. Whichever way you paint it it's not good news. What's more worrying is the political posturing that's currently going on between Taiwan and China. I'm not clever enough to predict the future but it's worth us all keeping an eye on any developments. Apparently Giant manufacture bikes for a number of brands so they'll be watching it all very closely too. I've got enough bikes to last me till I croak it so I'm not overly concerned but it's interesting all the same.

Giant probably took out a contract that gives them the option to delay payment. Idk what's in their contract but it could be that the payment will come later but for a higher amount. OR it could be that Giant are not paying by breaking a contract (although that seems odd).

Not talking about Giant specifically, but reducing prices on bikes (or whatever products) is not something that's normally done. Instead, when a company wants to reduce prices, they will bring out a new model at a lower price and eventually kill-off the existing high priced product line.

A company like Spesh might be accustomed to doing that as I see they made different models at different times (their Allez range has shrunk, they have an atheos range and idk what else). But Giant might find that more difficult as they have several ranges that are, for want of a better word, icons... Such as TCR, Defy, Reign. These are models that have been around for a long time and are like signature models.

Anyway, fast forward to 2024 and the cycling press will have headlines like "new s-works Tirmuk is a whopping £4000, all carbon, carbon wheels, di2, hydro". Well, wishful thinking.

And now a slightly sad thought: when companies need to reduce prices due to low demand, a get a slight hiccup because things can go south for many people very quickly. It's actually a good thing for prices to gently go up, but at a very gentle pace.

But to end on a positive note: recessions pass and sun comes out again. I haven't seen those odd peleton adverts for a while...

I agree that their ebike approach is an issue. Its like they are not keen on it.

On the hand Giant is known for its innovation with carbon fibre and frames. In view of their size, they are in position to ask their dependent suppliers to stretch their payment terms. Others do not have the leverage.

Giant also supplies carbon fibre to most bike manufacturers and they also do bike builds for a number of brands which are kept confidential.

Their management is also well regarded. Despite their size, they are not extravagant and quite conservative.

I know of well established banks that have asked their mortgage brokers to stretch their commission payments when the economy is not doing well. They have the leverage and they use it.

gbb

Legendary Member

Me too. The Giant just looks like a brutal styleless lump. I suppose that may appeal to some tbf, but not me. Same for the Trek tbf.

gbb

Legendary Member

I've been looking into buying a new eBike for the last 12 months, the fact the first time I even bothered to look at a Giant bike was promoted by this thread tells you everything you need to know about Giants eBike product line.

Given high ticket/cost items are where most brands make their profit, there is something seriously wrong with Giants approach to eBike if they cannot get the attention of potential customers ls like my self (I've spend roughly £6k on eBikes in the last 3 years).

Tbf, as bikes have been a large part of most of our lives, certain brands simply never did appeal to me, Giant being one of them, same with Spesh, Trek and maybe some others. No idea why, I just reject them out of hand, perhaps because I've never seen one that appealed to me. Its a very personal thing, I assume its the same for most of us.

Giant has postponed payments to supplies due to lower demand but insists their financial position is still strong.
https://road.cc/content/news/giant-postpones-payments-suppliers-298285
Could this herald a downturn in the fortunes of other manufacturers as global demand slows?

My last new bike was a Giant. Toughroad SLR1 2018.

Its a great commuter, never used the front racks (removed them) though. I had a frame break on it which was replaced under warranty no problem.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not that the rules stop people... There is someone round here who bombs around on an illegally unlimited e-bike. He not only passes me doing an estimated 30 mph on narrow backstreets, he does it without lights in the dark, and riding one-handed while smoking! :cursing:
Such people should be arrested and incarcerated immediately. Don't they realise smoking is bad for them?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Such people should be arrested and incarcerated immediately. Don't they realise smoking is bad for them?
The way that he rides, I don't think that he will be hanging around long enough to worry about that! (Let's just hope that he doesn't take someone else with him, especially one of the many small children who play in the backstreets that he zooms around...)

Chislenko

Veteran
Not that the rules stop people... There is someone round here who bombs around on an illegally unlimited e-bike. He not only passes me doing an estimated 30 mph on narrow backstreets, he does it without lights in the dark, and riding one-handed while smoking! :cursing:

There is one who regularly rides around our way, he has it throttle adapted and goes at a fair wack.

He only ever does one route, about five mile each way.

It is my guess that he is part of the illicit substances supply chain.

I have seen him numerous times but amazingly it would appear the rozzers haven't!

AndyRM

XOXO
There is one who regularly rides around our way, he has it throttle adapted and goes at a fair wack.

He only ever does one route, about five mile each way.

It is my guess that he is part of the illicit substances supply chain.

I have seen him numerous times but amazingly it would appear the rozzers haven't!

Someone got done for that in my 'hood recently. Same time, pretty much every night. Not exactly subtle...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Having just dropped a decent amount of coin on a new bike, I have to say Giant as a brand never once even made it on the shortlist. The market is heading very firmly towards the eBike/innovation end of the market. I've just been on to the Giant website, and their eBike 'range' resembles something I would expect to see in 2010 not 2022.

Forget details on specs etc, just look at this thing....It looks as appealing to ride as a supermarket mobility scooter.

View attachment 672582

Where as everyone else is coming up stuff like this for the same price.........So why would I (or anyone else) buy a Giant eBike over these other bikes??

View attachment 672584

View attachment 672585

View attachment 672586

Any electric bike is fugly TBH.;) They look fat !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom