Giant Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

Purchased a set of mudguards for my bike, as it's a Giant Defy i had to buy the Defy specific ones which Giant swore blind would fit no problem, after trying for over an hour i realised they don't, took them back to shop who told me a lot of people have had the same problem, i am now left with a bike that i can't fit guards on, poor service from Giant all round, so if you own a Defy don't buy the guards, as much use as a fart in a spacesuit, rant over.

zoso7

Alright there Bhoy!!

I have a Defy 2.5, not fitted any guards to it yet but I believe the new Crud Road Racer mud guards will fit the Defy range. They are lighter, cheaper and far better looking than the Giant Guards.

C'mon the Hoops.

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

Young Un said:
Cruds fit out and out race bikes. They WILL fit the defy, trust me!

So how do they fit ? you can't get them under the brakes, as it's too narrow and the clearance is minimal, even the guys at the LBS stated quite clearly that they wont fit, the reason Giant brought out guards for the Defy, was purely for this reason, as no other guards fit the Defy.

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

Young Un said:
Anychance of posting a picture of the rear brake, and also the front brake so I can see the clearance?

Happy to oblige, bit poor quality though.

Young Un

Hmm, I'll eat my words and admit that the clearnace does look very tight! Have you had a look at SKS Raceblades, as these end before they reach the brakes.

Steve

Young Un

I'm sorry, but they will work! !00% sure they will work! The only go up to the brake front and rear, and although they don't offer full bike protection aand they son't stop people behind you getting wet, but they do keep your bum dry! (I shall just point out that I work in a very reputable bike shop in the midlands)

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

Young Un said:
I'm sorry, but they will work! !00% sure they will work! The only go up to the brake front and rear, and although they don't offer full bike protection aand they son't stop people behind you getting wet, but they do keep your bum dry! (I shall just point out that I work in a very reputable bike shop in the midlands)

Yes i don't doubt you, but i was told they only work on 23mm tyres, mine are 25mm.

Norm

bhoyjim said:
Yes i don't doubt you, but i was told they only work on 23mm tyres, mine are 25mm.
I think that the race blades would fit, as they cable tie around your brakes. However, I couldn't get them to work with the 25mm tyres on my bike.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
bhoyjim said:

And that's why you don't have the clearance for the Giant guards or Crud-Racers either...
Were the original defy tyres 23s or 25s?
Will the defy ones work with 23s?

Did the shop who sold the Giant guards know that you had 25s and that the guards will not work?

Raceblades certainly should work on either tyre size.

Top Bottom