Giant Road E+ 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
I've only used M5 bolts for the mudguards, lengths as follows:

Front
  • Left dropout 35mm (with 4 x SKS spacers)
  • Right dropout 12mm
  • Fork crown 70mm
Rear
  • Left and right dropouts 8mm or 10mm (can't remember which - probably 8mm as there is not much room in the frame)
  • Seatstay bridge 8mm (shallower pan-head for greater tyre clearance)
  • Seat tube 10mm (shallower pan-head for greater tyre clearance)
NB. I used a mixture of Form C (larger) and Form A (regular) M5 washers, depending on where each bolt is.

Thanks for that I thought they were m4:cycle:

TyrannosaurusTreks

F02F7349-7548-4294-8BC8-447C9CFFDA6C.jpeg
85F056BA-CFFA-4E96-B61C-C70FC822EC6C.jpeg
63106E31-97A5-45EB-8506-3345693D42CA.jpeg
71F68CA9-267B-43D3-87AF-3229EB38F6F2.jpeg
Fitted my skis bluemells reflective mudguards this morning, quite pleased with them.

Attachments

• 00BCB244-BD1D-4A1E-8FF2-BE598CED23E4.jpeg
    00BCB244-BD1D-4A1E-8FF2-BE598CED23E4.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 62

TyrannosaurusTreks

Just brought a abus d lock, but I’m struggling to find a suitable position for it?.
As most of frame has no round tubes the fixing kit isnt much good, I was thinking of putting it on seat post but as it’s carbon would this weaken it.
Anyone else here has one fitted ?:wacko::wacko:

sight-pin

Veteran
I noticed the same problem, had to buy a gold rated lock to comply with the insurance. The only way i think of mounting it is ignore the supplied plastic thing and strap it under the top bar using velcro straps or something, however I've not needed to use it yet so have not gotten around to trying it.
As for mounting on the seat post, not sure that's a good idea tbh.

Edit: Or in a backpack if you use one may be a better alternative.

Last edited:
Hi
I'm new to forum(but not cycling)and about to purchase road e+ 2. Its for my commute which is 16miles each way minimum and 2000ft ascent on way at 20% or 1 in 5 for a good proportion and 1000ft + on return but less steep. I live in the UK - in the Peak District. I reckon I weigh around 85kg.
I've read through the posts here and everything I can find on internet and it seems to be capable of there and back but I'm not 100% sure. Obviously the battery performance may be affected by winter temps.
Would anyone offer an opinion on this?
Cheers

sight-pin

Veteran
Hi
I'm new to forum(but not cycling)and about to purchase road e+ 2. Its for my commute which is 16miles each way minimum and 2000ft ascent on way at 20% or 1 in 5 for a good proportion and 1000ft + on return but less steep. I live in the UK - in the Peak District. I reckon I weigh around 85kg.
I've read through the posts here and everything I can find on internet and it seems to be capable of there and back but I'm not 100% sure. Obviously the battery performance may be affected by winter temps.
Cheers

Hi, Welcome to the forum.
I would think you could at least do two days commute with one charge but it depends on how you use the power settings, Eco, Normal or sport. I think the later versions have 4 power settings or more?

Last edited:

TyrannosaurusTreks

The road e+2 has a 400wh battery so I can’t comment on this really but I did a ride last sat which included a good climb :
Draycott
Length: 1.2 miles
Elevation gain: 725 ft
Climb begins in Draycott Village. Take the left turn off the Draycott Road (A371) and onto New Road. The climb finishes when the road levels out. Beware this climb has sustained sections of 15-20%..
My ride totaled 30 miles including a nice ride down through cheddar gorge.
When I got home I had 52% battery left with my 500wh.
See if this works
https://www.runtastic.com/en/users/...979927?sharing_token=5a59eb2305efd20540cd8f3e

sight-pin

Veteran
The road e+2 has a 400wh battery so I can’t comment on this really but I did a ride last sat which included a good climb :
Draycott
Length: 1.2 miles
Elevation gain: 725 ft
Climb begins in Draycott Village. Take the left turn off the Draycott Road (A371) and onto New Road. The climb finishes when the road levels out. Beware this climb has sustained sections of 15-20%..
My ride totaled 30 miles including a nice ride down through cheddar gorge.
When I got home I had 52% battery left with my 500wh.
See if this works
https://www.runtastic.com/en/users/...979927?sharing_token=5a59eb2305efd20540cd8f3e

I think the latest e+2 now have the 500 battery, same as e+1. i could be wrong though?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hi
Cheers

You have correctly identified hills as the thing that slurps the battery more than any other.

You are also right to be unsure if a 400wh or even a 500wh battery will do the round trip.

I reckon it will be tight, but i weigh a fair bit more than you which makes my riding power hungry, particularly on climbs where the extra weight is felt the most.

If you can manage the ride on level one assist, you really ought to be OK.

But resorting to higher levels to get up those banks could put you into range anxiety.

Have a play with this ebike range calculating utility.

It's for Bosch bikes, but as you probaby know the Yamaha motor on the Giant is a similar design, so you can expect comparable range.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/

proton666

Cheers

I think one round trip should not be a problem. Two round trips may not be in the cards. Having said that, ECO the hills and I would say you just may get two round trips. Also, a smooth and coincident cadence around 87 RPM did wonders for my battery life (evens out motor yo-yo that saps the battery). I can now get about 35 to 39 miles in and only use about 50% of the battery (adjusting for the 3% cutout). Typical ride has about 3300 to 3700 vertical feet, some 18%, but this is open road riding however so not a lot of stops and goes like a commute. I typically climb on NORMAL, roll on ECO and decent on OFF. I have an advantage on the hills however as I only weigh 59 Kg. I say go for it. You will most likely find a way to do what you want after some experimentation. Good luck.

BTW, I have the 500 Wh battery.

sight-pin

Veteran
Again, Has it just stopped working, screen fading?
Edit: Oh i see, you can't switch it off again.

Last edited:

proton666

Screen has gone again.
Bummer. Do you store the bike in an unheated outdoor shed? Just wondering if the cold is getting to it...

Oh, and speaking of the screen. I was wondering about the "Service" icon (you know the one that looks like a wrench / spanner). Is this something that just pops up every xyz miles to remind you to do regular maintenance or will it appear only when there is a more acute problem (dealer no help)? Anyone seen it pop up on their screen yet?

Top Bottom