Giant Road E+ 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The extra 2 or 4 teeth don't seem to make much difference. At 110 cadence at 50/11 will give you 40.21 mph. With 52/11 your speed will be 41.81 mph, With a 54/11 will be 43.40 mph. http://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence Ignore the other cogs ratio's as i only set (11)
Well I’ve estimated my cadence to be somewhere between 90 and 100 at the top end which looking at the calculator you put the link for (thank you by the way, useful little tool) would seem about right. So I’m going to be looking at a 3-4 mph increase. Not much and by the looks of the tables results I will only be running 1 cog lower on the rear cassette. Not what I was hoping for.

So, I have an update on the padded underwear shorts I purchased from Amazon “Gel shorts, breathable underwear” was the description.

Complete lies! They were foam and very soft foam at that. I’d get more padding from taping a couple of ladies pads to the inside of my underwear! Needless to say they will be going back.

Can anyone recommend a good GEL padded underwear short?

sight-pin

Veteran
Decided to add a kickstand in the end. Daughter asked what i wanted for my birthday:okay:
image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
I just use the Decathlon padded shorts, They're not gel though but quite comfortable: They sell 3 types IIRC. The seat that comes fitted to the E+1 is fine for me with 20 mile rides, probably because the seat on my Mekk Poggio is as stiff as a board.

Edit: They do have GEL type. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-gel-padded-cycling-shorts-black-id_8381832.html

I didn’t plan on the Lycra look but after buying cheap shorts with poor padding I was at my dealers & with buying my bikes & accessories etc I have earned £100 in there points loyalty scheme.
So I choose these https://bicyclechain.co.uk/product/40633/endura-fs260-pro-bibshort-black-wht/
They are really comfy.

OK, so I solved the padded short slippage dilemma, I’ve taken to wearing them under my cycling trousers/tights and not on top. Oh and “Site Pin” I took a leaf from your book and went without underwear….”No more chafing!!” Yeah

Moving on to a different topic, I put in 240 miles last week commuting to work for four days in a row. On the last day my bike developed a clicking noise coming from what seemed to be the crank or motor area (like an aluminium frame clicking on steel bolts). I stopped several times to tighten what I could around the motor and frame but to no avail. By the time I got home some 30 miles later the clicking had developed into creaking on every revolution of the crank. The noise stopped when I turned the motor off but oddly the noise also stopped when I put the motor onto power mode and asserted lots of leg power. All this seemed to come about after I oiled my chain with 3 in 1 oil (I was in a rush to get to work!). The oil then proceeded to deposit itself all over the bike!

So at the weekend I methodically removed the plastic panels that shroud the motor module checking the 3 bolts holding the motor, they were all tight. Never the less I dropped the motor from the frame and could see no evidence that the motor had been moving on its mounts. So I cleaned everything up, including the chain and cassette (which were covered in 3 in1 oil) then dry lubricated the chain, derailleurs and cassette, and put everything back together. I then took the bike out for a test run and no more clicking from the crank.

“The good old take it apart, find nothing wrong and put it back together method”

On a separate note and I don’t know if this is related to the issue that “Giantbadge” had but every time I hit a bump in the road my fork stem clicks or cracks. I’ve had this a few time on my Giant Deft 3 (which is aluminium).

Is this something that is inherent with aluminium frames?

And does anyone else suffer this?

Last edited:

sight-pin

Veteran
@Country Bumpkin. Out of interest: Do you have to unscrew the front cogs in order to be able to get to the screws that hold the "plastic panels" on or is it possible without dropping the 50 tooth gear?

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
OK, so I solved the padded short slippage dilemma, I’ve taken to wearing them under my cycling trousers/tights and not on top. Oh and “Site Pin” I took a leaf from your book and went without underwear….”No more chafing!!” Yeah

Moving on to a different topic, I put in 240 miles last week commuting to work for four days in a row. On the last day my bike developed a clicking noise coming from what seemed to be the crank or motor area (like an aluminium frame clicking on steel bolts). I stopped several times to tighten what I could around the motor and frame but to no avail. By the time I got home some 30 miles later the clicking had developed into creaking on every revolution of the crank. The noise stopped when I turned the motor off but oddly the noise also stopped when I put the motor onto power mode and asserted lots of leg power. All this seemed to come about after I oiled my chain with 3 in 1 oil (I was in a rush to get to work!). The oil then proceeded to deposit itself all over the bike!

So at the weekend I methodically removed the plastic panels that shroud the motor module checking the 3 bolts holding the motor, they were all tight. Never the less I dropped the motor from the frame and could see no evidence that the motor had been moving on its mounts. So I cleaned everything up, including the chain and cassette (which were covered in 3 in1 oil) then dry lubricated the chain, derailleurs and cassette, and put everything back together. I then took the bike out for a test run and no more clicking from the crank.

“The good old take it apart, find nothing wrong and put it back together method”

On a separate note and I don’t know if this is related to the issue that “Giantbadge” had but every time I hit a bump in the road my fork stem clicks or cracks. I’ve had this a few time on my Giant Deft 3 (which is aluminium).

Is this something that is inherent with aluminium frames?

And does anyone else suffer this?
Hi country bumpkin, I have also experienced that clicking from the motor & it turned out to be those motor mount bolts had came slightly loose, think they have a high torque setting but this is fine now.
Your creeking noise from your forks:banghead: if you hold the front brake & rock the bike you should get that noise which means your forks are probably broke.
As on my previous post when they replaced my bike to the 2017 model after a 100 miles I had the cranking again, they found no grease at all in the headstock.
This worked for a bit, but then broke again so I would if you can get it down to your dealer as my shop didn’t want me to ride it in case they snapped completely.
Fingers crossed mine are sorted now^_^.

Hi Giantbadge I’m pretty sure my bike doesn’t do as you have suggested (although I will double check later) it does it when I go over drain covers and sudden hard dips in the road surface.

On a different note, I bought a sprintech mirror from the USA (like foghat has) I’ll let you all know how I get on with it. I’ve tried lots of different types of mirror over the years and they all seem to vibrate too much on my road bikes.

Finally a question for site-pin, how is your kick stand and is it stable on a slightly sloping surface?
The reason I ask is that I’m concerned about damaging my bike every time I stop for the call of nature and have to lie my bike down on the road side. Was it expensive and where did you get it?

sight-pin

Veteran
The bike is stored in my garage unheated, Giant had a batch of controllers that Were tested & found where cables went in water was creeping in.
It’s not been out in the wet though?.
The spanner light will come on when a service is needed, bit like a car.

Any news on the expected new display from Giant yet?

Top Bottom