Giant Road E+ 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldRoadie

Regular
I just rode the new 2019 E1 pro at my local shop! Oh, it's really nice and rides way smoother over rough pavement than my current Giant E1 from last year. I've had my bike for 7 months and 2300 miles and my biggest grip is the stiff rough ride over anything but smooth new asphalt blacktop. Even with just 60 psi in the tires it still kills my hands. This new 2019 bike with a carbon fork and different seatpost rides much smoother and handles quicker. On the original E1, I have to "steer" with the bars more than just shift weight like you do with a regular carbon race bike to initiate turns. This new bike is more like a race bike to ride in terms of turning and handling. The ultegra disc brakes do seem a little better stopping for the effort and the shifting is a little crisper with the Ultegra drive train. The chain on the new bike is the e specific KMC. The total weight was 3-4 lbs lighter just by lifting it into the back of my wagon I could tell, much lighter.
If I had the money, $4600.00 USD I'd get one! (with tax about $5000) The EVO power setting is a little more boost (assisted to 27 mph in the USA) then my current EVO with just 3 settings vs. 5 settings on the new EVO.
I haven't heard of or was told about any setting that will keep the boost level to maintain a specific heart rate.
I'm not sorry I didn't wait to buy the 2019, but I do wish I had one now! I didn't care for the all blacked out theme paint job though. The new wheels are tubeless ready, though do not come shipped that way (tubes). The chosen tires, Maxxis re-fuse 32mm tubeless do ride smooth. It all comes down to money, seeing I just spent $3900 USD on my bike, and to get a new one for $4600 isn't the best thing to do.

OldRoadie

Regular
Giant even has the "Giant" lettering blacked out!
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-road-eplus-pro

OldRoadie

Regular
To smooth out the ride I replaced the seat post with this Cane Creek Thudbuster suspension seatpost.
https://www.canecreek.com/product/thudbuster-st/
Using the softest rubber bumper (you get 3 soft, med , hard) it did take out a lot of the rough road feel. To further smooth out the road I replaced the Giant stock 110mm stem with this RedShift Shockstop suspension stem. It uses little rubber inserts inside the stem, so not clunky like older suspension stems with springs inside.
https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem
This really smoothed things out! With both the stem and seatpost suspended, the ride now is a little smoother than the new 2019 model with it's carbon fork, as I tested both over the same stretch of tar graveled road. I suppose some added weight, but when you're talking about at 43 lb. bike to start, who cares?
So, at this point I'm less inclined to buy the 2019 model for $4600 USD, well, unless someone wanted to buy my 2018 model for $3500!

Ananda

To smooth out the ride I replaced the seat post with this Cane Creek Thudbuster suspension seatpost.
https://www.canecreek.com/product/thudbuster-st/
Using the softest rubber bumper (you get 3 soft, med , hard) it did take out a lot of the rough road feel. To further smooth out the road I replaced the Giant stock 110mm stem with this RedShift Shockstop suspension stem. It uses little rubber inserts inside the stem, so not clunky like older suspension stems with springs inside.
https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem
This really smoothed things out! With both the stem and seatpost suspended, the ride now is a little smoother than the new 2019 model with it's carbon fork, as I tested both over the same stretch of tar graveled road. I suppose some added weight, but when you're talking about at 43 lb. bike to start, who cares?
So, at this point I'm less inclined to buy the 2019 model for $4600 USD, well, unless someone wanted to buy my 2018 model for $3500!

Very nice bike, congratulations!
Regarding smoothing out the road, my personal experience is that larger tyres inflated at a lower pressure do the trick tremendously well, without any adverse effects in rolling resistance.
If your bike can take something like 36 to 40 tyres, you might try that too!

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
40B39A3C-7632-421C-9185-75AEBB14AAF2.jpeg
7E9937C5-F559-4EDB-89BB-36C13AE870CA.jpeg
98133925-A3C1-4E1D-AF78-BFF934290F95.jpeg
Well it’s here, first thing I noticed was the gap at the top of battery to frame is still there as photo’s of 2019 bike show it all filled in.
The shop say it’s down to frame size, mine is xl?.
Wheels are tubeless ready but not yet so I’m going to wait until my first service & decide to have the milky stuff put in, What’s your thoughts on tubeless as I have never had it??..
Cables are still quite untidy but will play with them later, although the shop had to shorten the rear brake cable because it was ridiculous long.
So will have the first wet ride out tomorrow..

proton666

Looks nice. Hope it stay together this time.

Never liked tubeless much. I have had them on a couple of road bikes and a cyclocross bike. I just found road patching them is a bit hit or miss because, just like on a tubed tire, it can be very difficult to find the puncture point. This is not an issue with tubes if you simply bring a extra tube along but it's very frustrating with tubeless (and don't even get me started with sealants. Never worked for me and they are an unholy mess to deal with. Particularly with tubeless). I found inflating tubeless to be even more problematic. If the mounting was off just by a bit you just burn through a C02 cartridge and get nothing but dry ice and a flat.

I did like them on the cyclocross bike (as an affordable option to tubulars) but I only rode them in competition because if you flat then it's game over anyway.

To be fair, its been 2 or 3 years since I last experimented with tubeless and things have probably improved so... Grain of salt time.

In the end I just find it faster and easier to simply bring a couple of extra tubes and a patch kit back-up.

Hope your inaugural ride went well.

Last edited:

sight-pin

Veteran
Nice one. How does it feel compared to the old version?

Well it’s here, first thing I noticed was the gap at the top of battery to frame is still there as photo’s of 2019 bike show it all filled in.
The shop say it’s down to frame size, mine is xl?

I should think it's down to the head tube length, It varies between, 3.7 to 7.1 inches according to the sizing shown here. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/road-eplus-1-pro

TyrannosaurusTreks

Nice one. How does it feel compared to the old version?

The bike seem to be stiffer on the front end maybe due to wider stem, the ride is very nice though glad I went for the xl.
Only done a 25mile wet ride this morning but quite pleased, the motor is very noisy compared to old one but might get better with mileage.
I haven’t seen anything new on the dash apart from the 5 modes, seen some reviews stating lots of updates?, also you don’t get the micro usb lead ?.
The Ultegra shifters mount wider on the bars which feels like the bars are smaller, different!
Wider through axles make it a smooth ride.
Will let you know more as I go on.

proton666

Well I found out tonight the reason I don’t have a usb lead, it now works through Bluetooth with the app below I can control the whole bike through updates,faults fitness etc,etc.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/ridecontrol-app

Oh man, this looks cool. I'm a sucker for a good app. The ability to tune the assist sounds great. I never use "power" mode and being able to step that down would make it actual useful. Probably less water infiltration without the USB as well.

TyrannosaurusTreks

F6729209-EB88-4654-B6DF-3371C2C86FCB.png
F77BFFCD-C320-4D5C-892D-66C63303D820.png
CB1CE353-99C2-4C2D-962A-A6608DC61C77.png
330747DC-04C4-4F89-8E44-82EC42F2DA31.png
03D98128-D5CA-44FD-8282-8332ECCB6903.png

It still has the usb slot but no cable, went out in the rain again today to try out the routes app, at the moment it’s on kmh but sure this will be updated soon.
Bit disappointed in my ave speed but had to go through lots of path gates,not done a regular ride for a while ^_^

Attachments

• 7A5F966B-99A9-44A7-BE0E-385F1EEB6F9B.png
    7A5F966B-99A9-44A7-BE0E-385F1EEB6F9B.png
    9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Top Bottom