Giant Road E+ 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

proton666

Wellll.... Measure twice, print once I guess. Back to the drawing board.
IMG_3197.jpg

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Tyre update

Unhappy with the fact that Continental's '37mm' Top Contact Winter Premium tyres actually measure a ridiculously undersized 32mm, I recently made enquiries on other forums about the real-world size of the '42mm' version. With no data coming back in response, I took a risk and bought a pair of '42mm' tyres

Tyre update update.

Having successfully deployed the superbly gripsome 42mm Continental Top Contact Winter tyres, I've established that, for my purposes, 42mm is the optimum tyre width all year round for commuting on this bike on Britain's direly maintained rural lanes. This is largely due to the rigidity of the frame and weight of the bike meaning maximising comfort with high-volume tyres at low pressure is essential for my high commuting workload on such bad roads.

Accordingly, whilst the Top Contact Winters get used when the temperature drops below 4 degrees C, for above 4 degrees I've also switched from 37mm regular (i.e. non-winter-specific) Top Contacts to 42mm versions. These are much higher volume, but only slightly slower, and significantly more comfortable.

With 42mm tyres, clearance on the 45mm SKS Longboard mudguards was a bit too close on the rear. So I've procured a 53mm rear mudguard (not a Longboard, they only come in 35mm/45mm), which alleviates that problem. I kept the 45mm Longboard on the front, because the 53mm front is way (indeed ridiculously) shorter and would dramatically increase the amount of wet mud being chucked all over my feet and the drivetrain, rear wheel etc (even with a long mudflap). The width mismatch is hardly noticeable. Having said that, not getting mud sprayed everywhere during the last few weeks of dry warm weather has been a rare pleasure indeed…...

Last edited:

DadoBR

great thread and very informative. Another USA rider here and have a 2018 Giant Road E+1 on the way (Monday 7/23/18). I currently commute two to three days a week 20 miles each way and on my third year. Some days I am just not feeling it so that's where the RoadE will fit for me. My average door to door is between 19-20mph so I am very curious how the RoadE will do as I am mostly in the 25MPH range during my ride and reaching 40mph from time to time.

I see some recent talk of replacing the front chain ring for more top end so that definitely sparked my interest :smile:.

Next week I will be commuting on it for the first time so I will see how the battery lasts. My plan is to pedal just as hard but just go faster on the hills to bring my average even higher. I will be happy to break the 21mph average door to door so let's see :smile: My current ride is a Cervelo S5 DI2.

Not sure if it will be an issue yet but where can I buy an extra battery charger? I would like to have one at work and one at home. I don't really feel like carrying it around. I can't find anything online so for the US riders, what is the part #?

Thanks all.

17311194_10212227059129639_6548434483347511362_o.jpg

proton666

First , welcome aboard.

If I'm not mistaken I think the only charger that works is the one Giant sells (order through your Giant dealer $$$!). I have read that riders have tried other non Giant chargers bought through Amazon etc. but all have failed to charge the Giant battery (all seem to have the correct specs to do the job but...). That's not to say there isn't one out there, just nobody seems to have found one that works yet.

Edit: Oh, wait, he did...

Last edited:

DadoBR

2 days commuting on the Road E so far and pretty happy. I did have to order a new charger from Giant as it seems my speed is eating away at the battery even when switching between eco mode and normal. My 20 mile each way commute which I was averaging 19-20mph is now above 24mph essentially bringing my commute time to under 50 minutes at a whooping 48:24 thus far. I really had to baby the bike on the way back home as I was running out of battery and made it back with 4% left on the battery. Sure takes some time getting used to the weight compared to my Cervelo but the brakes are pretty damn good.

I smashed quite a few KOM's on strava causing panic which got me reported and all entries removed from leaderboard :laugh:

?temp_hash=581f4b4ee3d66114bbc7291f09646d2a.jpg

Not bad at all!

?temp_hash=9c6f14b38635dce14743f86d1673e279.jpg

Attachments

• screen2.jpg
    screen2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 41
  • screen1.jpg
    screen1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4264.jpg
    IMG_4264.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 9.51.27 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 9.51.27 AM.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 54

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
Once your over the 15.5mph the motor cuts out so you shouldn’t be using any of the battery life?.
I do a 1400ft on a 31mile ride & a 20-25% drain on the battery mostly with eco & power, so maybe ur battery is faulty?.
Have you de-restricted the bike as that would make sense on the drain.

Last edited:

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
Hi i may be wrong but i think the American version of the e-bike gose up to 25mph before the assist stops working
Ah maybe :unsure: the assist would be on virtually the whole time then..

proton666

Goes up to 27 mph here (California) I think. However, the amount of the assist seems inverses to the speed so as you get closer to 27 mph you get less and less assist. But at those speeds you are just burning battery to mainly push air out of the way.

Last edited:

DadoBR

Goes up to 27 mph here (California) I think. However, the amount of the assist seems inverses to the speed so as you get closer to 27 mph you get less and less assist. But at those speeds you are just burning battery to mainly push air out of the way.

Right, that's what it feels like. Assist gets less and less and cuts out completely around 26mph.

2 days commuting on the Road E so far and pretty happy. I did have to order a new charger from Giant as it seems my speed is eating away at the battery even when switching between eco mode and normal. My 20 mile each way commute which I was averaging 19-20mph is now above 24mph essentially bringing my commute time to under 50 minutes at a whooping 48:24 thus far. I really had to baby the bike on the way back home as I was running out of battery and made it back with 4% left on the battery. Sure takes some time getting used to the weight compared to my Cervelo but the brakes are pretty damn good.

I smashed quite a few KOM's on strava causing panic which got me reported and all entries removed from leaderboard :laugh:

View attachment 421186

Not bad at all!

View attachment 421187

View attachment 421188

View attachment 421189

Why don't you upload you ebike ride as a Private ride?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think there is a section on Strava dedicated to ebikers. This saves calls (and rightly so) of cheating by riders that use non electric bikes. Or as the poster above says, save as a private ride.

sight-pin

Veteran
All you need do is Just click on "Add a description" box and tick the "Hide from Segment and Challenge Leaderboards" box. then that ride and any future rides won't appear on the leader boards. Their is also an 'E-Bike Ride' option box option in the same display.

Top Bottom