Giant Road E+ 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

proton666

View attachment 441234 View attachment 441235 View attachment 441236 View attachment 441238 View attachment 441232
It still has the usb slot but no cable, went out in the rain again today to try out the routes app, at the moment it’s on kmh but sure this will be updated soon.
Bit disappointed in my ave speed but had to go through lots of path gates,not done a regular ride for a while ^_^

I completely missed that it has a "power meter" (watts). Now I'm real jealous! Thanks for the updates.

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
Well you won’t believe it

After 75 miles the bike is gone back:angry::angry:, took it out Sunday & after about 15 minutes the steering went really rigid & stiff like a puncture & letting go of the bars would send the bike out into the road.
Lifting the bike up & turning the bars side to side it is really tight on the left side but I carried on for a 25 mile ride on the steady side.
Took it back to the shop & the problem seems to be is the top head bearing won’t seat in the frame properly they have tried everything but no joy.
They said it needs to be rimmed out as there is like a bur where the bearing sits & they don’t have tools to do that.
They spoke to giant yesterday & told them effectively this is my 5th bike & needs sorting straight away, so another bike should be sent down tomorrow.
How can anyone be so unlucky, my £500 defy hasn’t missed a beat in 3 years ^_^.
Apart from this it was quite nice being back in the saddle, even with the ☔️

proton666

After 75 miles the bike is gone back,

Man… Sounds like the e-bike gods have it in for you. But six is a lucky number so, fingers crossed.

You may want to take another look at the Bianchi.

My local “boutique” bike shop got one in (the Aria, Impulso not here yet) and they let me take it for a 30 mile spin the other day and there’s a lot to like. It’s soooo much lighter and responsive than the Giant. Full carbon frame feels much nicer on this old body too. Looks just like a non e-bike. And of course, it has their signature color, “Celeste” or “gas chamber green” as it’s know over here.

And they will configure it as you like. I have always been a campy guy and with low end Chorus it will only set me back $7.6K (I think that's about 4.8K in England money) (*gulp*).

The assist was kinda whack though as it’s a hub drive and not a mid drive. Not as smooth or powerful as the giant (just not use to it I guess). More troubling is it’s range (barely got 30 miles out of it) and the unknown quality of the motor.

Got to admit, it’s tempting and there is a bank just around the corner to rob too… lol. But I think I will wait till my road-e dies first.

Last edited:

sight-pin

Veteran

After 75 miles the bike is gone back:angry::angry:, took it out Sunday & after about 15 minutes the steering went really rigid & stiff like a puncture & letting go of the bars would send the bike out into the road.
Lifting the bike up & turning the bars side to side it is really tight on the left side but I carried on for a 25 mile ride on the steady side.
Took it back to the shop & the problem seems to be is the top head bearing won’t seat in the frame properly they have tried everything but no joy.
They said it needs to be rimmed out as there is like a bur where the bearing sits & they don’t have tools to do that.
They spoke to giant yesterday & told them effectively this is my 5th bike & needs sorting straight away, so another bike should be sent down tomorrow.
How can anyone be so unlucky, my £500 defy hasn’t missed a beat in 3 years ^_^.
Apart from this it was quite nice being back in the saddle, even with the ☔️

Wow! Any news yet?

TyrannosaurusTreks

4CE3B919-8FE1-4DD2-AEB9-F78E9BF1371B.jpeg
Took the cube out for a try today they only had the sl model at £4500 but very impressed with the 13.5kg weight, the bike I the pic is the cheapest model at 14.9kg at £3500 which I would go for, the bike felt so much more easier to ride than the road e.
Took it up one of our steep hills here & you notice the power difference as the cube is 60nm torque but by dropping to the lower chainring it sailed up very nicely.
The motor is really quiet & once over 15.5mph there in no resistance at all compared to the giant.
As much as I like the new toys on the giant I feel after the last bike only lasted 2 weeks & how long before something happens again, they don’t seem to have the bike completely right.
Just waiting now for the shop to come back with the price to change now as I only paid £2200 for the first bike & if it’s too much I will have to put up with another new road e.^_^^_^^_^^_^

proton666

Looks nice. The road version not in the USA yet. What kinda range will it give? My shop put me on Pinarello's interpretation of an e-bike yesterday (apparently, they know a sucker when they see one). Even better than the Bianchi and just $8.2K with low end Campy! These lighter bikes sure feel like we are riding them rather than the other way around. Keep us posted on your adventure.

Last edited:

proton666

I'll put 10 on 290 miles (or how about a beer). :rolleyes:

TyrannosaurusTreks

Had the stinky cold over Xmas so have only got 100 miles on the bike.
Nothing broke yet which makes a change, I went for the size xl which is giving me knumb fingers so I’ve ordered a shorter stem & narrower bars .
I find the new pro motor drags you back more when over 16,5 mph than the sport motot did, but might be just bedding in.
Utegra leavers are more precise than the old Shimano ones.
I’ve had an update on the evo app so now I can have mph instead of kph.

Last edited:

TyrannosaurusTreks

Just signed up for a 40mile uk cycle event over the wye valley.
https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wye-tour-sportive/
Decided to do it on the defy & not the e bike as a friend is joining me, might be a bad idea as elevation gain of 3000ft but least I can train on both.
When registering you have the option of using the ebike as long as its not unrestricted:rolleyes::ohmy:

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
What's this cheating accusations with e-bikes? Could just as easily say I was using a heavy single speed Dutch bike and I cant compete with those who have lightweight multi-geared racing bikes. What if another guy lives in the mountains and has naturally high red blood cells? I'll have to get an e-bike to balance things out a bit, no?

I'm all for e-bikes. I don't have one but surely one could get a similar workout on an e-bike, but just have to ride a longer distance. Same goes for running: I get more of a workout running for 20 mins than riding a bike for an hour! If I had an e-bike, I might have to ride for 2 hours (or whatever). And if you really want a work out, switch off the motor and climb the 20+kg bike up a hill. :smile:

Edit: having said that, having a light weight bike designed for going fast certainly makes me want to ride harder, whereas that is not the case with most other bike types.

Edit 2: typos

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
View attachment 442753 Took the cube out for a try today they only had the sl model at £4500 but very impressed with the 13.5kg weight, the bike I the pic is the cheapest model at 14.9kg at £3500 which I would go for, the bike felt so much more easier to ride than the road e.
Took it up one of our steep hills here & you notice the power difference as the cube is 60nm torque but by dropping to the lower chainring it sailed up very nicely.
The motor is really quiet & once over 15.5mph there in no resistance at all compared to the giant.

STUFF DELETED
another new road e.^_^^_^^_^^_^

Hi, couple of questions please:
1. When you say no resistance over 15.5mph, can you describe that some more? Does the Giant have a motor that resists pedal turns if the motor is not being used?
2. Is the Cube lighter because the battery has less capacity and the motor has less torque?

TyrannosaurusTreks

With the giant 2017 model it felt like being pulled back with a rubber band but when you turned the motor off it was fine, but now with the 2019 model it still holds back even turned off.
Maybe when more miles are put on it might clear,
The cube agree sl has the Fazua drive unit which feel very different to the giant but once over the 15.5mph there is no resistance which is great, it feels like there is no transition between the motor being in or out of drive.
The cube weighs 13.8kg where the giant is touching 20kg & 60nm torque v giants 80nm is very noticeable on a good gradient.
On the cube I had to change down to the lower chain ring where as the giant would fly up in the outer ring & as to the battery the giant one is big & heavy hense twice the wh.
I stayed with the giant mainly because of my weekend trips out are mostly the hills in Somerset where the giant motor does it with ease, I think the cube would struggle the assistance is that noticeable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom